1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General Need some real thoughts and opinions about doing something "not so legit" with my broken V!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DrumBum, Jul 10, 2011.

1. DrumBum

DrumBum Newbie
    None

May 17, 2011
    I purchased my V on ebay about 4 months ago for $175 (when it was $199) and I can't find the receipt. My microphone is no longer working (no one can hear me anymore), so I went to a major retailer with a liberal return policy. (you see where this is going). I purchased a new one (at $149) and now I'm thinking about packing up the broken one and returning it saying it was defective.

The one thing I noticed when I bought the new one was that they scanned the BOX to activate it. Does this mean they would scan it again only to deactivate the new one? I also understand that they all have serial numbers, and they won't match unless I switch the sticker under the battery, which might also deactivate the new one. I figure 3 things might happen:

1. Nothing and I get my $149 credit.
    2. I get caught at the store and have to come up with a REALLY good excuse (my wife's and I mixed them up) then still have them OR Virgin Mobile deactivate my account.
    3. The police come to my door and arrest me for theft!

I really need some honest feedback (good, bad or ugly) about this unusual approach to not getting screwed out of another $149!

Need help...
    Mike

Advertisement

2. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    Contact VM about the defective phone. They are pretty good about replacing them. When you get the new one from VM, return the other one to the store. No moral issues there.

lizm likes this.
  3. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar
    None

May 18, 2011
    Male
    production assistant (pa), graphic artist
    Magrathea
    They will send you the face no back or battery you keep yours and return the broken face in the postage envelope they send you with the replacement.

4. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    PC Tech Owner Affordable computer repair.
    New Jersey
    I have heard someone say they sent him a brand new one in the box for a replacement,have not any reason yet to test the replacement waters.

5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Karma has a bad habit of coming back to bite you in the ass. It's not something I would want to risk... but that's just me.

6. rwinvt

rwinvt Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Effective planning means you should always consider the worst case scenario. When that involves policemen and arrests, a good rule of thumb to follow for the considered action is : Probably a bad idea. Don't do it.

If you decide to forge on anyway, and it gets to number 3, consider this:

You might get a lenient judge who lets you off with a fine and and community service. That doesn't help you get any money back.:(

You might consider, when the police come, run away ( they probably won't shoot you. If they do, don't blame me- it's like the advice for rooting a phone- follow atyour own risk) Then when you get captured, make a fuss, and curse at 'em, maybe kick somebody in the shins. This way you might have a better chance at some guaranteed jail time, and you can use the money you save on rent and food to recoup your losses on the phone and the fines and stuff.:cool::cool:

Plus, being in jail, you'll get to meet people that have more experience at scamming people and stealing things than your average phandroid forum poster. Most people here seem to have bought their phones. You might be able to learn all kinds of useful things in jail and start a whole new life as a criminal when you get out!!:eek:

(Be sure to run this by your wife-- but remind her first about the "for better or for worse, in good times and in bad" thing.)

Worst case scenario, she could always post here and ask if anybody has any ideas for how to break you out of jail.:)

Petrah likes this.
  7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    roflmao!

8. DrumBum

DrumBum Newbie
    None

May 17, 2011

:eek::eek::eek::eek: That's one of the best replies I have ever heard! I almost peed in my pants. Thanks. :D:D:D:D

9. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    Just call VM. They will probably get you a new one without you having to do anything illegal.

10. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    its doubtful you'll get the police called on you...the store will just turn you away because the s/n doesn't match....end of scenerio....your plan backfired.

PS. I work at a national retailer, and we ALWAYS check serial numbers of returned phones...
    I wouldn't think anything of it really, I'd just deny your return.

11. trey3

trey3 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Aerospace Engineer
    Geez, not this question again. Can't we put this in the FAQ under 'best way to commit fraud'?

Or, if you want an honest solution: take back the new phone you bought and buy a bluetooth headset for your old phone. Or buy a wired headset with a mic.

Or email your post to your contacts list and when your friends and family see your honesty and integrity, you'll no longer need a phone.

12. DrumBum

DrumBum Newbie
    None

May 17, 2011

That's what I figured. I'm not looking to "steal" anything. The way I look at is the retailers always get their full credit (or product) back from the manufacturer (LG). These are the corporations that have made huge profits and have continued to do harm to our economy, by laying people off, paying low wages, etc. This is no big deal to them, while we "dumb consumers" continue to pay ever increasing prices. But I digress... that's a whole other conversation.

I just thought VM wouldn't help because I didn't buy the phone from them, and don't have a receipt.

I will call them this AM to see what they can do. If they can't help, well... at least I get an extra battery for my $149!

13. Jenny Z

Jenny Z Well-Known Member
    None

edit: nvm, just saw your reply

14. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    Obviously, you've never worked in retail!

(1) Retailers don't always get "full credit" from the manufacturer (especially on electronics).

(2) A small part of increasing prices is "return fraud". Everytime a retailer has to "eat" a fradulent return, they just raise prices on other items to compensate.

(3) Agreed, a whole new conversation could be started on this subject.
    Don't be ragging on "big corporations and their huge profits". You went and bought your replacement from a "big corporation" didn't you?
    Let's just don't go there.

(4) What you're wanting to do is unethical. do the right thing and call the MANUFACTURER who made the phone, and see what they can do for you.

Like I said, I work in retail, and I will always defend against actions like this.

raynoldsk likes this.
  15. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    If you purchased it through ebay and paid with paypal you have a receipt.

16. DrumBum

DrumBum Newbie
    None

May 17, 2011

No, you're right, I never worked in retail. You get props for that.
    But I will argue that ethics and morality is in the eye of the beholder. I'm in South Florida where the crime rate is very high. I have a state and federal license to carry a firearm.

Is it unethical or immoral to kill another human being if they are threatening your life or the lives of you family? Some will argue it is...some (like myself) would do ANYTHING it takes to protect their loved ones.

I don't believe that what I proposed truly qualifies as unethical (IMHO), because WHATEVER the retailer gets back is more than I will. Plus, when it gets back to LG, they will fix it for $12 worth of parts, and sell it again as a re-furb for $129!

Where's the "ethics" in that? They just call that "doing business"!

Now this is not meant in anyway a slam on you, you're just making a living, but I think (IMHO) that retailers are crooks just by the nature of the business.

Now as I said before, I WILL talk with VM to see what they can do for me.

I do appreciate you're thoughts! That's what I asked for.

Thanks,
    Mike

17. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Sounds like you had your mind made up before you even created the thread. What was the point if you were going to disagree with what people have said?

What you put out will come back to you. Karma bites.

18. DrumBum

DrumBum Newbie
    None

May 17, 2011

"Now as I said before, I WILL talk with VM to see what they can do for me"

What part of that statement don't you understand? Seems to me, I have, or will, take the advice from most posters. Plus, disagreement makes for solid conversations.

19. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    (1) ENTIRELY OFF TOPIC. Where's this going?

(2) It's wrong, period. Its just like the people who messed up their phones rooting or mod'ing them. They did this at their own risk, but try a "switcharoo" into getting the retailer to pay for this mistake.

(3) Retailers aren't totally stupid to this idea that people are doing this. I hope the store that you are attempting this has great loss prevention people.

(4) seems as you have SO MUCH hate for retailers.....But you didn't have any problem buying replacement phone there, did you?

End of discussion. i'm requesting the Site Mod Admin to close this thread!

Petrah and raynoldsk like this.
  20. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head

To this whole post, all I can say is: really?:rolleyes:

21. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I don't really see the point of this thread. DrumBum, what you are going to be doing is committing fraud, and we do not condone such discussion on Android Forums.

Also, what you're suggesting wouldn't work as the IMEI is different on every phone.

This could be seen as the equivalent of a receipt and you should contact LG directly under the warranty.

/Thread closed

Cheers,
    Roze

Tags: