1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need someone with Facebook to test 'like' button for me

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MoodyBlues, Jul 15, 2013.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion counts.
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly Linux sysadmin/programmer
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    I don't do Facebook--I deleted my account a long time ago, after learning about their rather loose concern about user privacy. So....I can't test the 'like' button that I'm adding to my blogs. :eek: (Yeah, I know I could do what bazillions of others have done and create fake FB accounts, but I don't feel like it.) I'd appreciate it if someone would test it for me. Yes, your visit will show up in my site logs, blah blah blah, so if you're worried about me tracking you down via your IP address--or calling you out for your choice of operating system or browser!--then don't do it. :laugh:

Okay, here's an entry. I don't need the Tweet button tested because...I use Twitter! If you test it and there's anything about it that doesn't look/work correctly, please let me know here. Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    i just liked your blog with facebook. one thing i noticed was that the "f" for facebook is only partly showing:

[​IMG]

cool blog!!!!!!

3. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Thanks. :)

Interesting...depending on which browser I use, the button may not even show up at all! :eek: SeaMonkey, for example--which is my default browser--just ignores it completely. Do you think it's reading my mind? :thinking: :laugh:

Here's SeaMonkey:

[​IMG]

and here's Chrome:

[​IMG]

It looks like you're using Chrome on window$, correct?

Thanks. I've finally decided to stop wallowing in self-pity and start doing SOMETHING again. It's a multi-part program! I'm working on my shops, working on new designs, finally doing some blogging again, etc. THIS particular blog is really just to showcase the geek stuff at my GroovyGearShop.com CafePress shop. I don't have enough of anything else INTERESTING to say, so I figured highlighting a design each day would suffice. :D

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    yep i'm using windows 8 with chrome.

i never heard of sea monkey as a browser.....funny name.....LOL

and i'm glad that you are doing something constructive. is there anyway to follow it? or get email alerts when a new blog gets posted?

if not then i'll just bookmark and check back periodically.

5. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Okay. Hopefully, someone else will try and post their results, too.

Ah, what can I say about those Mozilla folks? :) SeaMonkey is actually the current name of the project that was formerly known as "The Mozilla Suite," and "Netscape Communicator" before that. I have mail I've carried with me since...the last millennium, I believe. :eek: (It's an all-in-one Internet suite: browser, e-mail and news clients, and a web page composer [which I never use, so I can't comment on it].) Oh, SeaMonkey is the older sibling of Firefox and Thunderbird--they split off into two separate projects, one for just the browser (FF) and one for just the e-mail/news client (TB). SM has it all.

Me, too. It's been long enough. I'm tired of feeling like shit all the time, and wallowing in self pity has definitely not helped. Doing something productive SHOULD help.

There probably is, but this is my first stab at using WordPress on my server as opposed to all my other blogs, which use Blogger, so I'm really not sure right now.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    FWIW that's what I'm getting, Firefox with Mac OS. Grey oblong by the Tweet thing. But then I've got both Facebook and Twitter in the hosts file, amongst a few other things, to stop websites wasting time trying to ping them.
    [​IMG]

Screen shot 2013-07-16 at 13.39.23.jpg

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Well, phooey. :thinking: I don't know what to tweak to get it to display uniformly across all browsers. Here's the code I'm using, which came straight from Facebook:

Code (Text):
    1. <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.groovygearshop.com/wordpress/[b]URL[/b]" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; width:60px; height:28px"></iframe>
    In that snippet, "URL" is changed to the ending part of the actual URL for the blog post, i.e.,

Code (Text):
    1. http://groovygearshop.com/wordpress/[b]2013/07/geek-design-of-the-day-hand-over-the-137-trimethyl-1h-purine-263h7h-dione-and-no-one-gets-hurt[/b]

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I'd guess it would show correctly in Firefox, given that there is an oblong(iframe) where the FB thing should be. FB is inaccessible, and also I block it anyway with the hosts file, stops the browser wasting resources and time trying to ping it from many websites. BTW there isn't an iframe/oblong showing in Safari, unlike Firefox. It looks like your Seamonkey screenshot in Safari.

Sorry I wouldn't know what to tweek, I've never used Wordpress.

I don't have my Linux Mint laptop handy to try at the moment. But that's also got FB in the hosts file, and I usually use Firefox on that as well.

9. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    I don't think I had tried FF, so here it is; I circled the weird thing it displays because otherwise it might have gone unnoticed:

[​IMG]

I have probably 20 other browsers installed, but I'm way too lazy right now to try them all. I figure FF and Chrome are probably the two biggest ones to care about (I NEVER cared about IE users; no, really, I NEVER programmed for IE, and now its share of visits to my sites is so small my "I really couldn't care less" attitude is well placed. :D). Oh, but Safari is big, too. Well, if the thing WORKS I guess that's good enough, but when it doesn't even show up, as in my SeaMonkey, I don't know...

That's okay. I'd never used it either, but decided to try it. I actually like it for the most part, and since it's running from my domain's server, rather than Google's server (as in Blogger), it's not prone to laggy response, nor is it bogged down with anything I don't put there myself. :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Look at ya, Moody, shamelessly trolling for"Likes".:rolleyes:
    "Test it for me", she says.;)
    I'm on to you.:p

MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.
  11. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Oh, damn!, you're so on to me and my clever scheme! I didn't think anyone would see through it. :thinking:

:D :laugh: :D

ocnbrze likes this.
  12. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    Ahh yes, cross browser design.. annoying ain't it? I had an issue of MSDN Magazine that went over adding the like button to web pages, but the test page i made no longer shows the button haha so I can't give advice at the moment but I will see if I can figure mine out and maybe I'll be able to help :)

13. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Thanks. Please be sure to reference the button's code I pasted in earlier. It's VERY straightforward...at least it SEEMS to be. :thinking: I really am not seeing why it displays wildly differently from browser to browser.

Also, everyone, kindly note that I am NOT a web designer. I was a programmer, yes, but I've slapped together web sites using only what I NEEDED to know to make something work. (I hand code, by the way--no silly web page composers for me! :eek:) So troubleshooting is something of a problem, because I don't know what I'm doing. :laugh: