1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need Suggestions For A Number Of Apps For Android TV

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gil_happy, Nov 25, 2017.

1. gil_happy

gil_happy Newbie

Hello, I have installed a custom ROM (6.0.1 w/ root access, etc) on my Android TV device (Google ADT-1) and I have some general Android questions (I think they are general questions) about adding some specific apps, as well as customizing the view on my TV. Here are my questions:

- Can anyone recommend a task killer app? I'm looking for something simple that just closes all of the open apps. Basically an app that once I click on the icon, it just closes all of the open apps (I don't need it to do anything fancy like closing system apps, etc).

- Can anyone recommend a reboot app? I'm looking for an app that once you click on it, it will ask you if you want to reboot, power down, etc. Simple and easy again is all I need.

- For the next one, I'm not sure of the correct wording, but I'm looking for something that will allow me to resize (make smaller) the Android viewing screen on my TV. If you look at the attached photo of my TV, you can see that when viewing something simple like the clock settings, you can see that it is cropped. Is there an app, or setting in Android that I can make the viewing area smaller?

- Lastly, is there are way to add a app 'shortcut' an desktop? Currently, if I want to open an app (speedtest, vpn app, etc), I need to go into the 'App Drawer' to open any of the mentioned apps - is there a way to create a 'shortcut' to add to the 'desktop' (again, I'm sure this is the incorrect wording).

Sorry for asking so many questions on one thread.

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

I don't have Android TV so not sure about most but is the screen crop issue to do with your TV? There should be a way to change your screen size with your TV remote. If the output you're using isn't set to fit screen it could be cutting off the edge of the screen.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. gil_happy

gil_happy Newbie

The crop issue is on 3 different TVs so far, so I wasn't sure if Android had an app, or some way in root to 'zoom' out?

4. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

Have you tried the TV settings to see if you can make it fit the screen on those TV's? Every TV I've had has been set to 16:9 which is fine for watching TV but when I've connected PCs, PlayStations or Chromecast the picture's always been cropped. Changing the settings to screen fit has always fixed it. Other ports should remember their settings despite changing the one the Android TV's connected too. Well at least they have on all of mine.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Task killers, RAM optimizers, battery doctors, etc. are bad....here's why.
    https://androidforums.com/threads/p...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

Most Android devices(phones and tablets) have a physical button to do that
    , so could be that nobody has actually written an app. How do you turn it off now, do you physically pull the plug out?

The correct word is "Overscan"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Some modern smart-TVs and devices may have a setting for it, possibly called "Overscan". An Android TV(Google ADT-1), I have no idea, never seen one and is not available here. But did you say it's running a custom ROM, possibly the TV overscan setting is not in that particular ROM, and it assumes it's connected to a PC monitor which usually don't overscan.

Probably the particular launcher that it's using, try another launcher that allows shortcuts?

#5 mikedt, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  6. gil_happy

gil_happy Newbie

Shotgun84 - thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I want to try and change the TV setting just yet.

Mikedt - thank you for the detailed information on task killers. Maybe how I should have explained what I was looking for was an app that is similar to what you do on your phone using the 'recent apps' button to close any / all open apps.

- Regarding the 'overscan' (thanks for this), since the custom ROM is PureNexus and designed for this Android TV platform, I would have thought it overscan would be part of this ROM.

- Sounds like I'll need to research the different 'Android launchers' and how to change, as well as finding one that supports shortcuts.