• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need suggestions on which phone to get.

caverman

Dec 24, 2012
So, I've been an iPhone user for a good 5+ years and currently I have an iPhone 5. I'm still at least another year away from being able to upgrade though.

My wife just recently got a Samsung Infuse and it made me go look at the Galaxy S4. So, now I'm starting to think about making the jump to Android. I called a local shop that deals with new/used phones and here is what he has.

Samsung S3 ($335 used)
Samsung S2 i777 ($200 new)
Samsung Skyrocket ($200 used)
iPhone - without seeing the phone he guessed around $300 trade-in

So, doing a little research it looks like most of the phones are pretty much the same with the exception that the S3 uses an OS of 4.0xx and the S2 are using an OS of 2.3xx.

Can anyone recommend one phone over the other if I make the jump?

Can either of the S2 be upgraded to the OS 4.0xx or whatever is the latest OS?

If I'm not a big power user (mostly text, view and take pictures, play an occasional game), would it be better to go cheaper and save the $100 for when I upgrade to the latest phone in a year or so? Or, would you get the S3 now because it's a better phone and I should get more for a trade in on my upgrade?

Any recommendations? Like forget the Samsung and get a Nexus 4 or stick with the iPhone 5 for whatever reason or make the jump and get the S3 and don't look back. Would it be better to just wait a while and get and S4 down the road because the S4 is so much better than S3 or S2?

I'm on the fence about doing this. I'm afraid I'll have buyers remorse and I won't be able to turn back for at least a year if I make the trade.

If you were going to make the switch, my first piece of advice is to start by selling and buying the phones yourself instead of going through a middleman.

There's no reason an ip5 can't bring $400+ used, and a quick look on craigslist here has people selling S3s for $250-275 with a bunch of accessories. See what they're going for in your area.

As far as what phone, the more recent the better. :)

If you want the same generation as the S3 (for price reasons), also look into HTCs one x or the nexus 4.

The S4 and HTC one are going to be a significant improvement though.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up.

I actually saw some S3 on Craigslist about 2 weeks ago when I was helping find a replacement for my wife. They were going for $300. I'm the kind that would rather pay a little more to go to someone with a storefront than take a chance on getting scammed by someone on CL. Same goes for selling my iPhone. I would be up for just paying about $40 and doing an even trade to a store that's been in business for almost 10 yrs. It's more piece of mind for me.

Funny you mention HTC. I when I initially did my upgrade 8 months ago I first got an HTC One X+ (even better than the One X). However, I only had 2 weeks to play around with it. There were just a few things that I didn't like and ended up returning it for the iPhone 5 I have now. Looking back I wish I would've just stuck it out. However, that's the thing that I'm worried I'll get buyers remorse again only this time I won't be able to take it back.

I'm starting to lean towards getting the S3 if I do make the jump. Wish I could do an S4 but they are just out of my price range and I only have to live with the phone for another year or so and then I can upgrade to the S4 or whatever is equivalent then.

Upvote 0
What about the question on upgrading the OS. Can the S2 phones be upgraded to the more recent 4.0xx OS or do you have to stick with the 2.3xx OS?

The S3 should he running 4.1.2 jellybean.

Generally, the OS cannot be upgraded past what your carrier has allowed. The exception is with rooting.

I can run android 4.3 that was just announced a few weeks ago if I give up the touchwiz skin.

There are pros and cons to doing this, and its not for everybody.

If you're between the s2 or s3 I'd definitely go with the S3 :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Sorry for all the questions...but going with Rxpert83's advice I've been looking around some more. I found a Galaxy S3 off of Amazon and the person it's fulfilled by has really high reviews. I'm good with getting something off of Amazon and the price is $272 shipped.

I have 2 questions though. First off this one is listed as a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (it's a blue one). I've never seen them listed as a Mini. Is that something different?

Also, it says it's unlocked so shouldn't I be able to take out the SIM card from my AT&T iPhone and put it right into the S3 and it would start working?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones