1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Billman, May 27, 2011.

1. The_Billman

The_Billman Newbie
    None

May 27, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hey all! I am a noob to rooting and have researched the information on rooting, and I would like to get some suggestions for some good ROMS, recovery, kernel, and RUUs that would be good to start with. Thanks in advance! BTW I have not rooted yet. :thinking::D

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    Ok first suggestion is to read the rooting for dummies guide.

I would really recommend that you switch recoveries once you are rooted. I would use amon ra 2.3.
    And never use rom manager.
    Suggestion for roms is all a matter of preferences. If you like sense then try mikfroyo 4.61 or 4.62. Kings unleashed sense roms are great. Koni elite series iii is also a good one to use.

Aosp roms do not have sense and are pure android. Try cyanogen mod 7.0.3.1. There are a number of themed cm7 roms that are great as well. Kings gb roms are super fast, but I don't like his theme that much st least with his latest releases.

Kernels stick with netarchy toastmod for sense and tiamat for aosp.

You can get everything from recovery to kernels to roms all in my sig.

The_Billman likes this.
  3. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    ocnbrze is correct. Read, read, read. I read the "ROOTing for Dummies" section 6 times over while scouring YouTube on how to root my phone and what to expect. If you just bought your Evo, I would suggest you take some time with it and learn its ins-and-outs before you root - the Evo, as a standalone phone is phenomenal - rooting just gives you more access to your phone.

When you realize that you truly are ready to root (and you've done your homework!), go for it! like is said, I used the "ROOTing for Dummies" and got it rooted on the first try. After you've rooted AND MADE A NANDROID BACKUP, sorry didn't mean to yell but nandroids are very important, you need to find out what type of ROM you want to flash; either a AOSP or a Sense ROM, there are pros and cons to both ROMs but I won't go into that. You can check them out here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html

When you've decided what ROM to use, you may want to flash a kernel to it, for Sense-based ROMs, netarchy-toastmod are the way to go and for AOSP, you can use Salvage-Zen, Ziggy or, my personal fav, Tiamat. But, once again, your going to have to do your fair share of research to find out what you really want/need.

And ultimately, that's the real fun about rooting, you get to experiment with different ROMs, kernels, themes, the CPU, widgets and homescreens - you get to personally customize YOUR phone to how YOU want it! I can't tell you how many times in the last couple of months I've come across Evo users and not one has had their layout the same, hell, even the rooted users I know tend to change their ROMs every weekend!

Have fun, learn more about your phone and make sure you do nandroid backups!

Tags: