1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need TASKER help - conflicting sound profiles

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by chunkdude, Jul 14, 2011.

1. chunkdude

chunkdude Newbie
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    so ive tried everything i can think of and cant seem to solve my problem.

i have many different sound setting profiles setup on my tasker that overlap depending on a few variables, but am having trouble getting one last thing to work.

here are the profiles i have setup:
    1) bedtime: sun-thu, from 23:30 pm > silent mode vibrate
    bedtime 2: sat-sun, from 1:30 > silent mode vibrate

2) wake up: mon-fri, from 7:30 am > silent mode off, ringer volume 6
    wake up 2: sat-sun, from 11:10 am > silent mode off, ringer volume 6

3) Headset plugged in: keyguard off (doesnt work), media volume 8, ringer volume 4, notification volume 4, silent mode off

4) Work: wifi near (work wifi network), mon-fri, silent mode vibrate

so the problem im having is with the 4th task. when i leave for work in the morning, my phone is on loud. when i get to work, it flips to vibrate. when i leave work and am no longer within range of the wifi, it doesnt flip my phone back to loud mode. i tried adding the exit tasks silent mode off, ringer volume 6, but it still does not flip back.

does anyone have any ideas on how to get my phone to flip back to loud when i leave work? i know its a minor thing to ask the internet but I've spent hours trying to get this to work

Advertisement

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Wifi Near takes two consecutive scans failing to find the specified Wifi before it deactives. With the default settings, this could take up to 20 minutes. Are you waiting that long to see if it works properly?

3. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Try adding a new profile like this:

Context: Wifi Connected (invert this, so it's Wifi NOT connected) and specify your Work's wifi ID
    Task: Phone set to Loud

This should immediately have your phone be on loud when you leave the wifi area of your workplace.

4. chunkdude

chunkdude Newbie
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    @unclemike: i have the wifi scan set to 180 seconds, though if the phone is in my pocket with the screen off, does it default to a different timing to detect wifi network?

@amlothi: i acutally dont connect to the wifi at work through my phone because its kind of a spotty internet connection here, so thats why im using the wifi near setting. perhapsi could do NOT near? though would that conflict with my bedtime settings, where when i go home, since im not near my work wifi, would it stay on loud? or flip over once 1130 pm rolls around

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    The Wifi scan time set in Tasker is used only when the device is awake. When the screen is off, Tasker performs its checks based on the Display Off Timings (further down on the same screen), which defaults to 10 minutes.

6. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    If you use Not Near, it will have the same problem at Mike mentioned - it would need 2 cycles of scanning to confirm you are not near the Wifi point anymore.

However, note that profiles are not maintained as active in Tasker. The tasks run only one time (when the profile is activated) and exit tasks run only one time (when exited) unless you have specified them as a repeat. Therefore, if you manually change the volume later (or change it with another task) it will remain at that level until it gets changed again (manually, or with a task).

Is your work schedule pretty consistent? Could you use a time context to help? Really, it seems the Mon-Fri you put in there isn't needed (unless you want the sound profile NOT to change if you are at the office on a weekend). I'm guessing that anytime you are near the Work wifi would be on a Mon-Fri anyway, so that isn't helping you. However, a time context of 9-5 would. Then, at 5:00 (even if you are still at the office) the phone would switch back to loud.

Not sure if that fits your needs or not.

7. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Some other things that might help:

1. If you drive to/from work and use a car dock or plug in your phone you could trigger on that to change sound profiles. With power you could also use a location profile with GPS without fear of draining the battery

2. Try adding a Cell Near context

3. Instead of using Wifi Near, use a repeating time-based profile on a 10 minute cycle that matches the %WIFII variable against the SSID of the Wifi network. This would basically work the same as Wifi Near, except you could make it end on the first failure to find the SSID, instead of the 2 cycles that Wifi Near uses

4. If you have bluetooth in the car you could change sound profiles when you connect to bluetooth

4. A little off the wall here, but I once suggested using a WAP as a location beacon. You would basically have a WAP in your car, plugged into an inverter on a switched circuit (so it's off when the ignition is off). Any time you're in your car with the ignition on, the Wifi Near context for that WAP would become active, telling your phone that you're in the car. The cheapest WAP you could find would work - even an 802.11b WAP.