1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Need To Be Pointed In The Right Direction

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by willgk, Jul 28, 2011.

1. willgk

willgk Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    I've not really used online forums and I need some help desperately on a problem I just can't for the life of me figure out.

I have an HTC Sensation 4G, to help with space problems on the main memory for it I went into each app of the ones I could do a move to sd card and I did that. Now sadly those that I moved when I place them on my "Desktop" for lack of a better word, any of the home screens, I will sometimes see the normal icon, but often the phone will come on and it will then show a Default Document Icon that looks like the Market Place Icon on a piece of paper. After that there's no way to get the icon back except by removing it from the Home Screen then Dragging it back out. This fixes it for a short time :(

Any help, or direction to somewhere I could ask to people that may be knowledgeable in this area would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisement

2. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    One right direction coming up:
    [​IMG] :D

But seriously, the best place for you to ask would be in the Sensation 4G section of the forums. Located here. I will try to help you the best I can before this thread gets moved. Are you actually running low on space, or are you just anticipating running low in the future and trying to minimize the impact? I have over 100 applications on my Incredible, and not one of mine are on the SD card.

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
  4. willgk

willgk Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    @Martimus, The problem is, my post isn't specific to the HTC Sensation 4g, this apparently happens on pretty much every phone that someone does Move to SD Card from inside of Android 2.3. I've seen a ton of people ask the question around the web when I searched Google, ranging from Incredible users, to Droid X users, Droid Users, and HTC based users. Sadly no replies to those threads.

@DrDoom As an answer to your question, I'm using up quite a bit of space and anticipating even more when I buy this GPS app that has all of the maps stored on the phone and needs 3gbs of space.

5. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    Most applications will only store required data on the internal memory. The rest of their data (user created, extra downloads, etc.), will be stored on the SD card. That GPS application will only store the basic program on the internal memory; almost all of that 3GB will be moved to the SD card automatically. You shouldn't have to worry about moving your applications to the SD; newer phones should have more than enough space.

6. willgk

willgk Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    ok i appreciate that, but, that still doesn't give me any hope or possibilities to fix a bug that's effecting the Android 2.3 build itself which is breaking icons, which is what I really needed help with.

7. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    That bug is a result of moving the applications to the SD card. It is most notable when moving widgets, which will no longer function.