1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need to bypass lockscreen to get data off dead phone via KIES

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Morat, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I'm returning my phone today due to a broken screen. I'd really like to get some photos and videos off it (My son is only 6 weeks old).
    I had a simple drag pattern lock screen and Kies won't let me access the phone until I enter the pattern. I have tried but it won't work - I don't even know if the touchscreen is working anymore. The screen is blank.

Does anyone have any tips to get round this please?
    Thanks!!
    Morat

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lobo76

lobo76 Member

what do you need kies? Close kies and just plug the phone in. You should be able to access the phone sdcard just like a regular flash drive.

3. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

I'm with you - but it is defaulting to modem mode for some reason. When I plug it in, windows makes that "I found a USB device" noise and no drive appears. When I check "Safely Remove USB" in the task tray, I get the option to remove "Samsung Modem".

4. lobo76

lobo76 Member

Well, that was as far as my limited knowledge goes...

In any case, yours is a screen issue, and by right, repairing it should not remove the data from the phone. After all, there are even DIY videos of people replacing the screen on youtube.

You might check with the samsung service pple if this is the case, and ask them to ensure they do not wipe the phone while fixing it.

5. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

Again, circumstances are working against me! I've got orangecare insurance - they just swap the handset for a new one. Never mind, it's just a couple of videos that I wanted to save. They're generic baby shots so I'll just take some more tonight....

Thanks for your help - and on the new phone I'll see if I can set the camera to save to SD card instead.

6. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

I can't guarantee this will work on the gs2. But on some phones if you remove the battery and sd card then put it on charge it will fix a black touchscreen.

7. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I did try that and it didn't work in my case. I've now got my new phone and I'm keeping any important data on the micro-SD card!
    Paranoia can be good for you sometimes :D

8. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Thats a wise move Morat.

I only use the internal storage for apps and the like.
    My personal stuff I always put on the external card in the event of scenarios such as this. At least you can always pop the card into a reader if the phone dies.
    Regular backups is also the key.
    :)

9. misspenny

misspenny Lurker

I am facing the same problem. I have insurance so i am not worried about the phone being fixed but I need my contacts and to be honest I want my pictures. I know I am being very foolish about this but these images are really important for me. Kindly help.

10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If your phone is working except for the screen, you should be able to plug it into a PC and download everything through Kies. You may be able to do it without kies in MTP mode (default connection mode for the SGS2) and your phone's storage will show up in the devices section of the PC.

If your phone won't power on, there's really not much you can do.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews