• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need to change name of personally created shortcut, not app.

I creat shortcuts for google maps directions on my home screen. These directions are for dropped pins to specific coordinates. Some with added stops enrout.
The default shortcut created by google maps has a name consisting of the coordinates themselves. I need to apply a custom name to these shortcuts instead of the default coordinate numbers so I can know which is which.
Google maps doesn't seem to offer any such option, nor have I found one in android's options or an app that would do so in the google play store.
I have recently learned how to use ADB to customize which apps are loaded at boot up and would be willing to try and use it to achieve my desired results but have no idea if it's possible or where to start if it is.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject that they could share with me to that end? I would appreciate any help on the issue that someone could offer.

I creat shortcuts for google maps directions on my home screen. These directions are for dropped pins to specific coordinates. Some with added stops enrout.
The default shortcut created by google maps has a name consisting of the coordinates themselves. I need to apply a custom name to these shortcuts instead of the default coordinate numbers so I can know which is which.
Google maps doesn't seem to offer any such option, nor have I found one in android's options or an app that would do so in the google play store.
I have recently learned how to use ADB to customize which apps are loaded at boot up and would be willing to try and use it to achieve my desired results but have no idea if it's possible or where to start if it is.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject that they could share with me to that end? I would appreciate any help on the issue that someone could offer.
ocnbrze is correct. I believe you are trying to create shortcuts directly from the Google Maps app rather than creating a "widget" of Google Maps for it. Directly from the app you can't rename. If using the widget, you can name the shortcut. Good luck!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks ocnbrze. That worked perfectly. Once I found the widget and tried it I kinda went doh! and had to laugh at myself, couldn't believe I made what seemed like a rookie mistake. But then again this is my first Android phone so...
I have an LG Velvet 5G, no custum launcher at this point. Maybe at some point in the future I'll try playin around with one. Haven't looked into that too much yet.
And KarmHunter you are absolutely correct as well. I do remember coming across the widget at some point but never thought much about it and didn't bother to take a closer look. A noobie blunder on my part for sure. I guess I won't make that mistake again... at least until next time.
Thanks so much for the info, I do appreciate it. Now I wonder what I can screw up next...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones