1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Need to create a restricted device

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by maxallen, Jun 4, 2011.

1. maxallen

maxallen Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I work in the commercial parking business, and I'm looking at a system for a hotel. In order to create an access card for the garage, the front desk would scan a card by a reader and use a web interface to input the card in the system. I think an android tablet would be a perfect interface for this system - no need for a keyboard, less desk space than any kind of small windows desktop, etc.

However, it would be important to me that this tablet only boots into the web page, and isn't used for anything other than this one function. Is there any way to to do this? I know this is pretty much the opposite of the direction anyone ever wants to go.

Advertisement

2. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Grad Student
    DC
    I am by no way, shape, or form, knowledgeable on this stuff, but no one is helping you out so here it goes.

If you root the said tablet, you can download DroidWall - a firewall system that can tell what apps can and can't access the internet. I would assume you would need to:
    1. somehow encrypt or PW protect the DroidWall from being launched and create an application/shortcut that accesses the website you need and only allow that application/shortcut access (not too sure if you can block shortcuts though, I think it may be just applications).
    2. (if your workers aren't too technologically knowledgable, you could just use LauncherPro to hide DroidWall from being launched. Similarly, you would create a shortcut to your webpage and use LPP to hide the Browser shortcut so they can't access it).

Again, this is RUDIMENTARY, almost grade-school level advice, but I figured some is better than none.