• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need to exchange S5, will AT&T be able to tell I was rooted?

FLAWLESSVW

Jun 18, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I'm still within my 14 day exchange period (barely). I need to exchange my phone but I'm rooted (using Towelroot).

1. Will they be able to tell I was rooted? I didn't see anything about KNOX during root process (aside from SU# asking if I wanted to try to disable it upon install).
2. If so, will they care? (phone works fine, no "problems" it's an S5 Active and the physical hardware buttons are turning the phone on in my pocket constantly, I'm going to try the standard S5 - I know it's somewhat prone to this but it's not nearly as bad; my wife has S5 and no issues...)
3. Anything I should / could do to avoid any potential issues? I've got system / OTA updates disabled via TB so presumably if I let the phone update itself I'll lose root and return to stock.
4. Has anyone exchanged a phone (during initial 14 day period)? Any issues or was it painless?

Thanks in advance for any input. I've got maybe 2-3 days left in my exchange period so I'm hoping to get this figured out.

They most likely will not check to see if you are rooted... there are ways to get yourself unrooted... by using towelroot you didn't mess up Knox so it's easy to disguise the fact that you were rooted

Thanks for the reply.
I posted over at xda as well. It was suggested to Odin back to stock. But I'm wondering since TowelRoot is so un-invasive if I'd be covered by just letting the phone update itself and break my root, versus using Odin.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
If you use the unroot option in the settings of the Super su app first, if you don't it will say custom in system status after you let your phone update.
Ahh good call KennyR... Never noticed that option in SU.
So our seems this will be real straightforward:
1. Use the "Full Unroot" option in SuperUser
2. Defrost the OTA & system update items I froze in TB and let the updates pull down.

Nice! Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
So I called them on day 13. They had no more Certified Like New GS5's. They told me basically sorry about your luck and you'll have to live with a phone that pocket-dials 911 for the next 2 years.
Of course they have more in Stock now but based on how un helpful they were the other day I doubt they'll do anything for me at this point.

Sucks... Would REALLY like to swap this Active for a standard GS5. :/

Upvote 0
So I called them on day 13. They had no more Certified Like New GS5's. They told me basically sorry about your luck and you'll have to live with a phone that pocket-dials 911 for the next 2 years.
Of course they have more in Stock now but based on how un helpful they were the other day I doubt they'll do anything for me at this point.

Sucks... Would REALLY like to swap this Active for a standard GS5. :/

Its just their bad phone design. The home button is popped up so its easy to press in your pocket then do dialing in your pocket. It almost sent an IM of gibberish to my boss, not sure how it got so far...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones