1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need to flash, have some questions...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmsnyc, Jul 3, 2011.

1. jmsnyc

jmsnyc Member
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    I am currently running DK28 so I need to flash using ODIN. I am currently rooted with CWM 2.5.1

I used Titanium (free version) and backed up all user apps.

1. Do I need to do anything with widgets? Example, I downloaded a paid app "Beautiful Weather", I do not mind manually recreating the widget, as long as the option will still be there in the widget list when I reinstall the program from Titanium. Also, do I need to backup any system data

I have all contacts and sms backed up.
    Also did backup using Nandroid via CWM 2.5.1

2. Is it necessary to update CWM to a 3.* version or can I just work with 2.5.1?

I have Lookout installed. Other than scanning files when I download them not even sure what this program is good for.
    3. Do I need to do anything with Lookout?

I am looking for something stable, with good battery life, good gps.

4. If I install a custom rom like Bonzai, is the decision of what to flash to i.e. EC05, EF02 already taken care of because that is part of the custom rom? (I probably prefer stock rom)
    5. Is EC05 the latest stock rom supported by Sprint?
    6. Should I go with DF02 and if yes will I need to install a separate modem for battery life or just go with EC05 for stablity
    7. Will DF02 take OTA firmware updates? (DK28 didn't)

I know have a lot of questions. But any answers/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Crossville, TN
    1. In Beautiful Widgets, when you go to the Market and reinstall the app, all of your previously downloaded skins will appear within the app.

2. That is not a highly regarded cw version. I would definitely upgrade. People only use that one because it's a good one click root that does not require flashing a rom.

3. Lookout is a good virus scan tool, but it also has a "find my phone" type setup within it. I can make your phone ring outloud if you misplace it and it's on silent. Or it can find GPS coordinates of the phone if GPS is enabled.

4. A lot of roms have DK28 version and a EC05 version. Just pick the one you want/need.

5. Yes

6. I have no idea. I'll let someone else answer!

7. Same as #6. :)

jmsnyc likes this.
  3. jmsnyc

jmsnyc Member
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    How will it know I paid for the app before? Based on my gmail account?
    So if I ODiN my phone, and install a EC05 based custom ROM - it is not necessary to install a stock rom first?

4. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi

The paid app thing is yes. Google keeps track of all that. And the custom rom question is yes and no. So roms may need the modem to be eco5 while others it wont matter. I personally would suggest finding a rom and follow what the intructions say to do.

5. ewarren29

ewarren29 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 9, 2010
    Can you upgrade clockwork 2.5.1 using the 3.1.1 zip method without problems. Or do you have to go back to stock and start over?

6. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi

Yes you can flash thru current cwm.