1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need to format HTC Incredible - how to back up everything?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RobinPLA, Feb 9, 2011.

1. RobinPLA

RobinPLA Lurker

I have problems with my HTC incredible phone and need to do a factory reset or formatting it. My gmail account won't sync and I get the "Low memory" warning all the time despite that I have 90% memory available.

How do I back up EVERYTHING, phone contacts, pictures, videos, mp3 files, applications, etc? What will I lose by formatting my phone? Game scores and other data? I am really reluctant to doing this, but without gmail the phone is virtually useless.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

Unfortunately, you cannot back up system apps (which would include your messages, contacts, calendar, etc.) without rooting your phone. Astro can only backup market apps.

But you can export your contacts to your SD card, so that's one way to get around that limitation.

3. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert

You can never format system apps. They remain inviolable no matter what you do.

If you are doing a clean reset, stuff stored on the SD card will not be erased. You have to format the SD card separately. If you want to back up your SD card, you can always hook it up to a PC by USB and transfer. The phone will appear as a zip drive.

Contacts, calendar, and stuff are always backed up into the Google Cloud. You can store them into the SIM.

Paid apps are always remembered by the Android Market. You can always download for free the next time. They are only bought once.

Free apps you download, doesn't matter really. Just download them again.

BTW, your problems on the DINC can be solved without formatting:

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

Click on the All Tab. Click Menu and Sort by Size.

Now look at your Contacts. Has it swelled really big? Like 20mb? Like 30mb? More?

Assuming that you stored your Contacts on the SD card, keep it stored for safekeeping, but don't restore. Your Contacts is hosed because of the bloat.

Go to the Contacts Storage and Clear Data,

That would wipe out all the contacts stored in your phone without resetting and formating everything else.

Once that happens, your phone should sync again. The Contacts will be restored gradually, and then in full.

But you have not solved the problem why it bloated in the first place. In a matter of time, it will get bloated again, and you will stop syncing.

The cause of the bloat is likely:

You got a huge Facebook friend base, and you're syncing Contacts with Facebook or Facebook for HTC Sense.

You got a huge Twitter follower or following base, and you're syncing them into Contacts via Twitter for Android or HTC Peep aka Twitter for HTC Sense.

So you must =

Unsync your Facebook from your contacts.

Unsync Twitter from your contacts.

One way to unsync them is delete your accounts from Friend Stream.

If your Facebook or Twitter is like 100, 200, or a few hundred, it won't matter. If your social networking accounts got contacts by the thousands, it would.

As HTC Sense Friend Stream also syncs MySpace and Flickr, having too many contacts being synced to your contacts base will have the same effect. As a matter of fact, other social networking and chat apps that got contacts sync can do this too, including Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger apps.

So I would recommend to unsync all your social networking accounts via

Settings > Accounts & Sync

Click off all except Google.

Then clear your Contacts data, and get Google to sync your contacts in again.

Exercise contacts management judiciously.

Low memory warning occur three ways.

1. With GMail not syncing --- means your contacts base is bloated.

2. If GMail is still syncing, then some apps got caches that you got to clean out because they are getting bloated.

If you get 2.), go to Manage Applications, sort apps by size, go to the respective bloated app, clear the cache. Keep doing this app by app till the e notification disappears.

These particular bugs has something to do with HTC Sense in particular with the Droid Incredible, but I have not seen this with other HTC Sense phones.

3. If you got so many apps in your phone storage. You would need to transfer some to the SD card if they let you, or delete the ones you don't need, or clear out the caches in some of the apps.

4. RobinPLA

RobinPLA Lurker

Thanks so much Guamguy. Your help is greatly appreciated.

My "contact storage" is almost 6MB, I have a little over 100 friends on Facebook, and follow 3 people on twitter, I have moved every single movable app off the phone's internal memory to the SD card. I have 14 out of 15GB free SD card memory, 5 our of 6GB internal phone storage, and 625 out of 748MB phone memory. I have cleared out all cashes for all application. I have tried every single remedy out there on the web without success, including everything you mentioned. There is nothing bloated or unusual about my phone except that it doesn't sync and thinks that I am out of memory.

Now what do I do?

5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Factory reset time. Checkout "my backup pro" in the market. And export contacts to your sd card just to be safe. And also make a backup of your sd card.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews