• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need to go back to previous version

bcollinsmn

Lurker
Jun 25, 2011
I downloaded and installed the latest version of the OS. Big mistake. It freezes constantly and I can't start any apps -- including settings-- because when I tap the screen, nothing happens. Then it goes black -- except for the date tape at the top. I have to remove the battery to get the thing restarted.

Is there any way to roll that upgrade back or do I now just own a paperweight?

Welcome both of you to the forums.

Can you provide a little more information? Are you rooted or not? Are you talking about the OTA VZW Gingerbread update? What version OS are you talking about that you are on? Have you tried a cache wipe?

All that said, if you want to go back to an earlier version of the Android OS (Froyo, the verison prior to Gingerbread, if that is what you are talking about) then your best bet is to start clean and fresh and do an sbf back to Froyo. Instructions on how to do that are here:

SBF’ing the Droid X U D G

Hope that helps! If not, please post back with more information and we will work on getting you through it.

Upvote 0
This is the same thing I posted in the forums. Did either of you with this problem ever find a solution to it? The instructions for rolling back to the previous version seem like a tremendous amount of work for something that should simply be functioning without spending time working on it. I don't really want to lose my data on this, nor do I have hours to spend...

Upvote 0
This is the same thing I posted in the forums. Did either of you with this problem ever find a solution to it? The instructions for rolling back to the previous version seem like a tremendous amount of work for something that should simply be functioning without spending time working on it. I don't really want to lose my data on this, nor do I have hours to spend...

SBFing is the ONLY way back...

Upvote 0
hi ..new to all of this do I hope I make,sense. I recent wanted to switch providers but need to unlock Samsung s3. Fido gave me an unlock code. But,then didn't,work . They said that with the newest update it won't let users unlock the galaxy. Or newest versions. My,question is....can I roll back to previous update? And how?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones