1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

need to know how to root my phone

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Android Question

I have a HTC one m8s and have tried everything to root it. I know there is a way to root the m8 but it wouldn't work with the m8s I am on android 5.0.2 running HTC sense 6 any help would be appreciated :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Have you tried THIS?

scary alien and tube517 like this.
  3. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Hmm I wouldn't recommend using that toolkit as it's well out of date, was never 100% reliable and loads a old version of TWRP as well. Besides that it is for the M8 and from what I dug up the M8 TWRP recovery does not work on the M8S anyway. Happily there does now seem to be a recovery from CaptainThrowback for the M8S, check out this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/make-custom-recovery-htc-one-m8s-t3114245

I suspect for bootloader unlock you will need to go via the HTCDev route - unless you are on Verizon - and then flash the M8S recovery from the above link via fastboot, and then install SuperSU from recovery.

Scotty's post here in the Root M8 forum covers the above steps (post 2 if you have a win7 pc) but you will need to substitute the recovery from the xda link above:

http://androidforums.com/threads/the-htc-one-m8-root-thread.845182/

Should at least get you rooted but not much going on in terms of ROM/kernel development that I can see, and SoC and camera are different - don't know what other hardware changes have been made - so trying to flash a M8 ROM is likely to break stuff.

Brian706 likes this.