• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need to purchase a HTC Desire Unlocked in India

smokinguns

Jul 8, 2010
Have a few queries before I go ahead

• Does it have Android 2.2 Froyo official update? From HTC's support website it does say that the OTA update is out.
    HTC - Support
  • Is there any other Android 2.2 official upgraded phone available in India?
    I am looking for a phone with >= 1Ghz processor - I believe that rules out Motorola Milestone 1 and Samsung Galaxy S's 2.2 upgrade is not announced/only rumored.
Again, I am only looking for official upgrade. I know that rooting can help upgrade (but I need this for work purpose - can't do that).

@ smokinguns,
I think the froyo update by HTC is official.Motorola milestone is of course getting froyo in Jan 2011 (worst case).U can wait for Motorola Milestone 2 which will be out in Dec 2010 or Jan 2011, which has 1 Ghz processor and comes with froyo.
Galaxy s will get froyo in October (for India).
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 also has 1 Ghz snapdragon processor, the one HTC Desire has,but it is still running Android 1.6.

Upvote 0
@ smokinguns,
I think the froyo update by HTC is official.Motorola milestone is of course getting froyo in Jan 2011 (worst case).U can wait for Motorola Milestone 2 which will be out in Dec 2010 or Jan 2011, which has 1 Ghz processor and comes with froyo.
Galaxy s will get froyo in October (for India).
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 also has 1 Ghz snapdragon processor, the one HTC Desire has,but it is still running Android 1.6.

thanks Kumar, that's quite a summary you gave me there.

As per what I see the only choice is HTC Desire for me, I checked with the HTC India team and they also confirmed that
- HTC Desire will be on 2.1 on boxes (but OTA for 2.2 is already out)
- It was launched with the help of Tata DOCOMO, but is actually unlocked and will work with any other GSM providers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones