• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need to purchase a new phone!

liamwithers

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
Hey guys :)

I'm looking at purchasing a new phone around Christmas time, and with help from you guys, I think I might get something perfect for me!

I'd say that I spend roughly 15 hours per month on calls, and use the Internet a lot on my phone, so first off, it needs a relatively good battery life.

The Android OS really does intrigue me, but I'm yet to experience it. I can see myself using many of the apps available on a regular basis.

I have no need for a camera, so if the phone does have a camera, the spec doesn't bother me. I have a digital camera for taking photos with, why would I want to use my phone?

High-Speed Internet is a must, so I'll be wanting something 3G capable. Wifi would be useful too, but not essential.

I would quite like a phone with a QWERTY designed keyboard, whether being touch screen or buttons, similar to that of the popular Blackberry phones. I don't want anything with tiny buttons though, because in all honesty, I've not get the best hand-eye coordination, and I'm blind in my left eye, so depth perception isn't great :D. So as long as the buttons are of a decent enough size, then I'll be fine. Otherwise, I'll have to make do with the normal text set-up, but QWERTY is preferable.

I need a phone that will last me a good 3 years, which is how long my current phone has survived so far (Samsung G600), and it's still going relatively strong.

The main uses for the phone will be texting, calling, and managing my social networking accounts such as Facebook and Twitter. That being said, I don't want to buy a phone which has been released for a fair amount of time. Yes, it might end up being cheaper, and be able to complete all the tasks that I want to complete with ease, but I don't want to fall behind the rest of the game within 3 months of owning a new phone.

I won't have a huge budget, and I am NOT willing to go on contract, as I am much MUCH more than happy with my current PAYG deal.

The budget is up to

Cheers :)

I think the Xperia X10 might be just out of my budget anyway. I'm sure there must be something just as good for me, but much cheaper. I mean, who needs a mega camera on their phone?

Let's be honest... 90% of people don't really bother with the camera on their phone anyway. They have became slightly more popular in the past couple of years though, with the ability to upload photos to Social Networking sites directly from your phone. I most likely won't be needing this feature on a phone though.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones