• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need to record calls from a (physical) VoIP Phone

Hello All,

At work, I use a VoIP desk phone that comes bundled with VoIP software. Recently, I am facing an issue with the calls not being recorded on time via the VoIP software.

To reroute around the issue, I was provided with a sony recorder tool, a physical one. But I was wondering if I could connect the 3mm cable that came with the VoIP desk phone to my Andriod phone and record the calls from the smartphone via an app that allows us to choose the mic input (from the default built-in mic to the 3mm jack.)

Thank you in advance.

I guess you could do that, in a roundabout way.

There are videos on Youtube about using excellent quality external microphones to record audio with a phone.

So, theoretically it can be done in the same way- but there eill be an impedence mismatch that could (ie. probably will) overload the input and cause distortion and possible damage.

So you need something to reduce the input volume down from that of a headphone to that of a microphone.

A headphone volume control placed inline between the line out and the mic jack and set at about 2/3 (66%) level should work good for this.

I have used this method before for other situations, with good results.

Hopefully someone else will know of an easier method.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The need for a system for recording telephone conversations of company employees is a big necessity for me. In my company, we use the VoIP service Mightycall. In principle, there are two options for recording conversations – one uses the built-in PBX functionality, the second uses an external system for recording telephone conversations (it does not depend on the PBX, is made by a third-party manufacturer and, as a rule, can be connected to almost any PBX). Which option to choose depends on the budget and the task.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones