1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need to root my DX!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by budmonster, Nov 20, 2010.

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    I need to root my DX that I just got yesterday, came with 2.2 already. I've been accustomed to my rooted D1 for so long and I know that the DX root process is different so I need some help.

I would like to just do a "1 click root method" if possible, but I can use ADB/SDK if that is the best or most efficient way to root the DX. I have "some" familiarity with ADB/SDK. Also, I'm confused on this Koush bootstrap app that is needed, things along those lines.

In a nutshell, I want to be able to root my DX, use Clockwork Recovery (for backups, flashing roms, etc.), use Rom Manger, be able to unistall system apps, etc. I just need to know how to do this, I don't want to brick my phone the second day I got it.

Thanks guys :)
    - BUD

Advertisement

2. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2010
  3. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    ok thanks, im going to use z4 to root. what the best way to overclock? do we flash kernels like the D1 or is there a different way? whats the best method to overclock?

do you need koush bootstrap app to use clockwork recovery and to make backups?

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
  5. tom108

tom108 Android Expert
    None

use the overclock tool colchiro posted. Jrummy has put together a great app that gets updated regularly. no need to flash kernels (cant anyways with the locked bootloader).

6. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
  7. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
  8. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    I used Z4root to root my DX. I then installed Rom Manager and Droid X Recovery Bootstrap. I clicked "Bootstrap Reocvery" and then tapped "Reboot Recovery". It rebooted me into ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.6. I made a backup and rebooted my phone. Now my Market wont work, I can't flash anything from Rom Mananger (the latest CW recovery is 2.5.0.7 not 2.5.0.6), my Email won't sync. Things are going haywire! Seems like my data isn't working or something? When I unrooted and unistalled everything, the Market worked again, but the Clockwork Recovery was still on my phone. How is that possible if Droid X Recovery Bootstrap is uninstalled?

9. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    No issues here. Did you try rebooting or clearing your cache to fix market? That's the stuff I try if something is flakey.

10. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    Yes, I rebooted, cleared everything, I even uninstalled z4root, Rom Mananger and Droid X Recovery Bootstrap and no luck.

Even after I uninstalled all those app, clockwork recovery is still on my phone which it shouldn't be.

This is so frustrating, I can't find any help for this. I had my D1 rooted in 5 minutes and never had a problem for almost a year. I got my DX yesterday and can't even get root to work!

11. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Now that you got it working again, I'd try it again, but just one step at a time (just root), checking for problems before moving to the next.

12. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    I don't have anything working. I uninstalled everything.

13. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    after i root my phone the market doesnt work, emails don't, data seems not to work anymore. but i can access the internet. its eatiher the 1click root app i used or the droid x recovery from koush that is causing these problems. because i just uninstalled everything and my market, email, etc. works now.

14. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Sounds like you accidentally turned off data or sync, thinking it was something you installed.

Do you have widgets on one of your screens to turn on/off stuff like that?

15. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    how can data be off, but my internet still works?

on one of my screens there are 4 widgets (wifi, bluetooth, gps, airplane)

yep, facebook, email, gmail, nothing works. only my internet

16. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Sorry, can only guess what might have happened since those apps should not have done this. Probably time to do a factory reset or sbf back to stock with RSD Lite.

Factory reset will get you back to the equivalent of a new phone. I think RSD Lite will keep your data and might be preferable, but I'm not 100% sure.

17. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    i think the system reset worked?

im rooted and just went into the setting and did a system reset to wipe everything and now everything works again. im still rooted b/c i can use drocap2 and rootexplorer. i have not put the Droid X Recovery by Koush back on yet or Rom Manager. I'm guessing one of those was causing my problems with not being able to access the Market, Gmail, etc. Unless a system reset just solved all my problems? What is my next step? Should I install Bootstrap now? What the best way to finish my rooting process. all i have done so far was use z4root to root my phone, i uninstalled the Bootstrap and deleted the files in the system folder. i also removed rom manager. so now im assuming ive started fresh again with just root.

18. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I reinstall root, see if there's problems, then the rest, that way you're not out much if you have to reset again.

19. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    im rooted already. all i did was uninstall Bootstrap and Rom Mananger then I did a system reset like you said.

20. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I know I installed rom manager after recovery and mine works....