1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need to ROOT my LG Optimus V... I am BEYOND N00B!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by joshm662, Aug 30, 2012.

1. joshm662

joshm662 Member

listen, first off, i am BEYOND a n00b at this stuff, i literally have no idea what im doing... i was linked to this site here:

[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

and i cant even get the PRE-steps accomplished because i have a Windows 32-Bit system... so of course Sun JDK is out of the question....

and then im linked to the All Things Root Guide here and i look at it and my eyes cross and i black out for 30 minutes... there are millions of links and millions of things to do.. why cant there just be something broken down for REAL noobs? like, people who just got done using a home phone for 29 years and have this phone and know nothing... i have NO memory on this crap phone and i dont even have any of my own apps... its all pre-installed crap... all i have are my contacts and text messages and im getting the phone is low on memory symbol... it's insane, i have NOTHING on my phone but what they gave me... i cant put anything on my SD card because it's all LG pre-loaded crap that i dont want.

i wish someone could just walk me through this.. i want to get rid of all the pre-loaded crap apps and get my ROM memory back so i can download some actual apps that i want, it's almost football season and i have no way of keeping up with stuff without some apps and i cant get them with no memory....

ive asked for help before here and was linked to a bunch of different "NOOB PROOF HOW TO ROOT GUIDES" and i can tell you, there is nothing even CLOSE to n00b proof.. i have no idea what im doing and am ready to just buy another phone because i dont know what to do and im getting extremely frustrated.

2. shaylakay2007

shaylakay2007 Newbie

How to root the Lg Optimus V with Gingerbreak - YouTube

In the description it tells how to do it on the computer and from the phone. I used GingerBreak to root my Vortex, and I did it straight from my phone. Just downloaded and installed it onto my phone and then ran the GingerBreak app and it rooted my phone and worked fabulously!

PM if you need any help. :)
    P.S. I was a super NOOB when I rooted my phone but so glad I took the chance on it!

-Kayla

3. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

4. joshm662

joshm662 Member

UGH!!!! the YouTube video is no help... first off 4shared.com has no gingerbreak apps when i search.. and not only that.. how do i take my SD card out of my phone and put it in my computer?!?!? the thing is tiny.. there is no way to put it on my computer!!

this is so damn frustrating!

5. joshm662

joshm662 Member

and to AndyOpie... the link you sent me to has files im supposed to download.. but of course.. when i try to access those zip files... the website they're hosted on says...

"the user is out of bandwidth" or something to that affect.... why is this so damn hard!!!!?!?! why cant someone just help me through this? every link people post is either down, or has out of date info... i just dont understand!

6. riggerman0421

riggerman0421 Well-Known Member

Guide to Rooting Without a Computer. Links are good.

7. AndyOpie150

If you have a windows OS the "even more mirrors" works fine.

8. joshm662

joshm662 Member

thanks to ShaylaKay... ive officially rooted my phone and got rid of all the crap and now can look forward to having apps i actually need/want! thanks everyone!

9. drew_t

drew_t Newbie

The card in your phone is a micro-SD card. The way you would get a computer to read it is to put it in an adaptor, which is basically the shell of a normal SD card with a slot at the base that you stick your micro-SD card into, and then put that into your computer's card reader. (If your computer doesn't have a built-in card reader, you would need to buy one from an electronics place; basically they're little boxes with slots to fit all of the 19 or so different kinds of memory cards, with a cable that you stick into a USB port on your computer.)

I have a vague memory that the phone may have come with an adaptor, so if you haven't already thrown out all the packing materials, you should check and see if one is there. If not, just buy a new micro-SD card; it will come with an adaptor. Get a 16 or 32 GB one; the prices have come down so low that there's no reason to go lower (and you can probably find a sale somewhere this Labor Day weekend). The 2 GB one that the phone came with is too small to do much with, anyway.

10. jquebby

jquebby Lurker

Kayla, the link for the gingerbreak.apk v1.20 isn't available anymore. The only one available is v1.00 which I presume is an earlier version. can you email 1.20 to the email in my profile or post here? thanks!

11. AndyOpie150

You could try trusting Optimus V users to help you with you Optimus V problems, assuming you have an Optimus V (if not, you need to go to the forum for your specific phone).

The Gingerbreak.apk link for the 1.20 works just fine. I just downloaded the apk to my computer from here: [App] [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

The best directions for the Gingerbreak.apk can be found in the first Guide in the All Things Root Guide sticky.

You could also try this: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/531810-rooting.html
    Use the Even MORE Mirrors link

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews