1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need to set up 14 columns and 4 rows of toggle buttons with reset

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Ken McCrary, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Ken McCrary

Ken McCrary Lurker

I apologize but I am 60 and I know this is quite simple but I am completely ignorant while trying to follow tutorials for Android Studio. This is so simple I don't want to have to spends weeks trying to learn java for a simple personal use item.

I need to create an app for my own use for now that has 14 columns and 4 rows of buttons that can be toggled on and off and for which I can put my own images, and it needs to be programmed in LANDSCAPE orientation only. This 14 x 4 grid of buttons can take up the whole screen.

The first 13 rows all buttons need to be on by default and turn invisible when touched, but toggle back to visible if touched again. One of the last buttons in the 14th column needs to close the application with an "are you sure warning". One of these last 4 buttons needs to be able to reset ALL the first 13 columns to their default on position, again with an "are you sure" warning. The last 2 buttons will be for future use.

That's it

I know this is a piece of cake for you pros, but help creating this code would be of tremendous help to an old man. Thank you for your interest and help.

#1 Ken McCrary, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Hi. I moved your thread over to the development forum.

Your question has a lot of aspects, but the first thing you should become familiar with is layout types. The layout determines where your UI components are placed on the screen. From your description, the one which naturally fits your requirement is GridLayout.

3. Ken McCrary

Ken McCrary Lurker

I realize there are a few aspects here, but it is no more complex than I have described. My description is all I need in it's entirety. I can't even figure out how to select GridLayout in Android Studio. Thanks

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

If you haven't learned Java then you are wasting your time diving straight into Android Studio. Learn the basics, that means becoming familiar with the programming language.

GameTheory likes this.
  5. Ken McCrary

Ken McCrary Lurker

Seriously? I think I am invisible sometimes. I thought one of your members could whip out something quick and all I would have to do is put the images on the buttons and be done. I cannot afford to take the time to learn this for this one single very simple thing that ANY of your friendly members could whip out in 5 minutes. I deeply apologize for wasting your time. I have a tutorial. I just need a boost here. Old brains don't learn so quickly. I programmed BASIC back in the day. I am a 60 year old disabled veteran that once built 286, 386, and 486 computers under my own trademark. Could someone please help here? Thank you.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Let's get a few things straight here:-

1. When did I say you're wasting my time? I said if you don't learn the basics you're wasting your time.

2. What makes you think this app would take 5 minutes to complete? It's a bit more complex than the 'hello world' app.

3. You asked for help. I don't know what you were expecting, but I gave you some pointers on where to start.

4. From your original post, I understand that you want to build this app yourself. To do this, you need to begin at the beginning. That means if you have zero knowledge of Java, zero knowledge of Android app architecture, zero knowledge of the development tools, then you need to address those deficiencies. So if you're serious in wanting to do it yourself, then you need to invest the time in learning this stuff. If not, then pay someone to do it for you.

5. Nobody owes you answers. We're all unpaid volunteers on here. So just because you don't get the exact feedback you want, don't start kicking off. We do our best to answer questions here. I generally try to help people by improving their knowledge. Because if you really want to learn, and understand, then there's no better way than working things out yourself. If you want to have a read of the thread I created to help people like yourself, it's here

https://androidforums.com/threads/please-read-me-before-posting.987318/

#6 Deleted User, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
  7. Ken McCrary

Ken McCrary Lurker

1. I realize Nobody "owes" me answers.

2. I mistakenly ran across this forum thinking someone with the knowledge might be willing to help out an incapable old man.

3. I don't appreciate the condescending tone. Yes I admitted up front that I was an ignorant idiot.

4. My guess is, in the time it took you to belittle me here with this post, you could have whipped this out.

5. You totally missed the point of my post when you make a comment like "...if you really want to learn, and understand...".

6. I don't want to learn and understand java was the whole point of the post.

7. I will read the link you posted here, and hopefully it will help me. I'll let you know.

8. A little friendly advice. Everyone is not as smart as you. Everyone is not as knowledgeable as you in this, but it doesn't mean they are wasting there time trying to create a very very simply one use app for one platform on one device for personal use.

9. In my prime I took the PLC for an injection molding machine, reviewed the programming code (don't even know what it was), and dissected and manipulated it to control hydraulic systems for our custom needs. All without any training and without any knowledge of the programming language.

10. Again, I apologize for wasting your time. It is clear that any future replies here would be futile.

11. How hard could it possibly be to throw me a bone by creating 56 Identical buttons in a landscape format and let me manipulate from there?

#7 Ken McCrary, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019