• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need to sync GS2 with Outlook.

I am moving from a Blackberry which is synced with Outlook to the Galaxy S2 arriving on Fiday.

I see there is a Samsung Kies program, does that work?

or

Companion Link. www.companionlink.com

I will be using my phone on the AT&T network in Jax, FL

Any help would be great!

Not sure if it's done through Kies. (Although that is the main connectivity program)

But the GSII has a built in, e-mail client that is notoriously good for exchange.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried synchronizing Android with Outlook through an Exchange Server, but if you don't have access to an Exchange Server, you can automatically synchronize Outlook (or Windows Live Mail) email, contacts, and calendar with your Android device, as long as you have a Hotmail, MSN Mail, or Live email account. Just add it to the standard Android email app. Instructions are here.

Any contact or calendar items will have to be on your Hotmail/MSN/Live account and will not be synchronized with Gmail (which is arguably a good thing) or be searchable with Google Voice Search (which is not a good thing since it works better than the built in voice dialer) but you can still use those contacts to make phone calls, send emails (from whatever account you choose), navigate, etc.

The caveat is that is that you need to keep your Outlook contacts and calendar events on a Hotmail/MSN/Live account in Outlook.

Upvote 0
What email service/server are you using? Just because someone is using outlook doesn't mean they have an exchange server or any server for that matter..... BUT if you are using an exchange server with an outlook client I would highly recommend not to "sync" with outlook it self. Unless you have major data plan issues and even then just sync while on a wifi network and you will be all good.

I would stay away from desktop syncing software as much as possible. We don't even allow for "syncing" via desktop clients at work anymore... There is no point, its better to sync directly with the server that way your info is up to date.

Upvote 0
Hotmail synchronizes email, contacts, and calendar between Outlook & Android, much like an Exchange Server, except that Hotmail does not synchronize Tasks, Journal, or Notes. (You don't even need to use Hotmail for email. You can use Gmail or something else if you like, and just use Hotmial as a synchronization repository for contacts and calendar.)

Upvote 0
This is my first post on these forums.
I presently have an iPhone 3GS and have ordered a Galaxy S2; still waiting for it to arrive here in Chicago.

In preparing to transition from iPhone and MobileMe to Android, I set up my calendar and contact stuff etc.. on Google.

I downloaded and then tried out Companionlink.
I am syncing it with Outlook 2010.

Setting it up was very easy; everything works very smoothly indeed.
For me, it is well worth the purchase.
No problems at all with regard to the Outlook to Google sync ito calendar, contacts, tasks etc..

Hope this helps.

Now just to wait for the Galaxy S2 to arrive.

T

Upvote 0
I recently sync'd my new Galaxy S2 with my Exchange Server (Microsoft BPOS) and initially all fine - I have quite a large address book of 3000+ contacts.

Also sync'd and merged with Facebook and Skype contacts well.

However, while calendar and task updates all work fine and sync (bidirectionally) contacts do not. Whether I add a new contact on the phone or in Outlook/Exchange the contact does not update across.

Went to Settings/Sync, and forced a manual Sync now on Exchange account, does so (too) quickly but does not bring contacts up to date.

Anyone else with same problem or solution?

Called Samsung support but their only advice was to unsync and resync Exchange (losing all contacts on phone in process) or then try a factory reset. They suggested there was no limit to number of contacts, but clearly there must be (16GB only on phone memory, also used heavily by apps).

I can see other people on forums have similar issues, either with number of contacts or memory.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Guys,

I downloaded companionlink and it basically does the job BUT - it builds its own app on the GS2 so you are not synching with the built in contacts/calendar etc. but with companionlink. Also, it does not synch all the use notes.

Another problem - because it basically synchs the Outlook to itself and not the GS2 this creates a problem if you want to use Viber, Skype etc because they get linked to the built in contacts and if you have over 1700 contacts like I have this becomes a huge problem.

Was anyone able to find a solution to synch with Outlook without having to use Exchange server?

thanks

Upvote 0
Folks - if we are talking about Sync directly with desktop Outlook client (not server) indeed this is a gap. I like many others do not want to store details and notes about my contacts on google servers where effectively the information becomes theirs to do want they like to target you with advertising. Read their terms, effectively they own the information also - not just you.

I have tried Kies, and if you have any kind of complexity in your contacts it fails. ie. I have 2 mobile phone numbers in one contact, or if you have assistant's name, etc then Kies fails. On the standard Kies sync you cannot do any field mapping and it does not pick up many fields, although you can field map when you do a one time import. If you search the forums there is a post somewhere which outlines field mapping issues.

I have just purchased Companion Link /Deja Office after a 14 day trial. It works very well. You can tell it which field goes where, it even synch colours and categories as well as FC task priorities that I use on the desktop (ie. they beat FC PlanPlus to market with Android product).

What Vilenko says above is only half true. Yes it loads into it's own database /apps basically because there is sadly no standard task or notes app. However if you set Deja Sync setting to sync back to Android contacts App. So once you do that it populates all your contacts in the right android standard fields - and you get all your phone logs showing up with names not numbers. So it daisy chains across to contacts. You can do the same for Calendar but I have it switched off & just use Deja Calendar which looks better anyway. This sync works in 2 way - so if you add a contact into Android it will make it's way to Deja Office then eventually back to Outlook.

ps. word of warning - make sure in Android Accounts and Sync setting (not Deja office) that you have your google account to only sync mail and not calendar, contacts otherwise it will daisy chain all your data across to the cloud also - which I was trying to prevent!

I have also tried MyPhoneExplorer - which is limited by no std task/notes app, same with GSync. Although I have kept MyPhoneExplorer because it archive SMS conversations, phone logs etc. that you can read on screen.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I am new to the Android world as I have just bought a Galaxy S2. Lovely phone but now that I am working out some practicalities I am finding some problems. I am looking for an app that will allow me to sync with Outlook. I have tried Kies but it does not sync tasks and does not sync all the information from contacts (like the address!). It is possible I am not usuing Kies correctly but I was wondering if there are easier apps out there. I have thought about using Google but I am not comfortable with leaving my data on a third party server. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0
Some people suggested I use MyPhoneExplorer before, but I ended up using cloud syncing for my contacts, calendar and tasks. Apparently. You should look for Gsyncit or CompanionLink if you want to keep it on PC. I've since stopped using Outlook for Tasks on Android because Android doesnt natively support tasks (it supports events), because Google Calendar doesnt have tasks yet (its still in Beta).

What I do is that I sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar to Google, which are then actively synced to my phone (no data loss for me). Tasks on the other hand are managed by Producteev, a cloud based task organizer, which is then synced to my Astrid Tasks app on Android (which also syncs to Astrid.com for social/shared tasks with other team members if needed). Both Astrid and the Android calendar are shown onscreen via the Android Agenda Widget.

Oh I forgot to mention. Producteev is able to sync to Outlook tasks, so you may want to look at a cloud sync path of Outlook>Producteev>Android (Astrid/Taskos apps)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi,

I am able to sync my S2 with my corporate outlook server but when I pull any contact from it, I am able to see only the email address and not other details. The same works fine with both iPhone and Blackberry.

Is there some setting which needs to be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, please let me know if you find a solution, I can't see all contact's fields on Galaxy 2, which synced with Outlook.

Upvote 0
After a day or two struggling with this very problem, i am happy to say that MyPhoneExplorer from the app market does the trick perfectly!!

It comprises of a PC app and a phone client. With the PC app you identify the Outlook folders that you want to sync. And the phone client communciates with the PC app via whatever communication link you establish (which includes tethering, Blue Tooth, WIFI, amongst others!). The app market provides the phone client and a link to the developer's website for the PC components and full usage details.

To sync (assuming all your setup has been done), i start the phone client, start the PC app, and select "Connect" from the PC app, and then the Sync button on the PC app. It does a full reconciliation, and you can override any updates. And you can have it log an HTML report of precisely what it did -- essential for sceptical persons such as myself!

It's free, but well worth a donation ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones