1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need to travel to Europe w/ kids and these phones...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dhbuckley, May 29, 2017.

1. dhbuckley

dhbuckley Well-Known Member

Hi. I am traveling to Europe, likely The Netherlands and Portugal and we are unfortunately slave to the coverage of Vilerizon. If we want to use our phones/plans it will be $30/day on top of already crazy $ for the service. ($10 per line/day). The other Vilerizon "solution" is crazy $ for ludicrously small amounts of data.

I use a Droid Turbo with Marshmallow, kids are on iPhone 6S and 5S respectively, latest iOS

What are any suggestions at all for using these phones so as to have a reasonable amount of data and stay in touch?

Can we use secondary SIMS? Can I buy 3 cheap unlocked phones and prepay on T-Mobile or some other carrier? I don't so much care about speed as I do about connectivity for messaging and reasonable cost. Would like to be able to have some calling minutes as well to use in Europe and less important, back to USA.

I'm open to any ideas anyone may have.

Many thanks and be well, all.

David

cortega619 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

First thing I can think of, do you all need to be online all the time with your phones? Presumably your hotels all have WiFi, as will restaurants, malls, public transport etc

3. dhbuckley

Thanks for reply!

Not necessarily needed but desirable; past experience states that Wifi is less ubiquitous in Europe than US and I really do want continuous messaging capability without need to connect w/ passwords and login dialogs.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If the Verizon devices you've got are all locked, they won't be able to use local carrier prepaid SIMs. So next option might be cheap unlocked devices which can. There's plenty of cheap MVNOs in the EU with good value data packages and international calling rates, like Lebara and Lycamobile. Which I've used when visiting the UK. But to use their SIMs, the phone must be unlocked.

BTW a friend of mine from UK is currently in Seattle for a few weeks, and he's just using WiFi.

#4 mikedt, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. dhbuckley

Ideas for unlocked phones to purchase in US and use in Europe? Need to buy 3...

Any experience getting Verizon to unlock phones? What are best practices?

6. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Call Verizon, I think all of their branded phones are 'world phones' and unlocked. In theory you should be able to get SIM cards, if you can match bands. You need to know what bands/radios are on the phones and what is needed where you're going. The CDMA will be useless but the LTE may be doable.

I quickly checked willmyphonework.net for a Moto Turbo using Netherlands Vodaphone. 2G and 3G will work and 4G (LTE) may:

2G: CdmaOne,850MHz,900MHz,1800MHz,1900MHz
    3G: CDMA2000,EVDO,850MHz,900MHz,1900MHz,2100MHz
    4G LTE: Band13-700MHz,Band4-AWS,Band3-1800MHz,Band2-1900MHz,Band7-2600MHz" title="" id="device-frequencies" style="box-sizing: border-box;">[​IMG] Motorola DROID Turbo 2G: 900MHz,1800MHz
    3G: 2100MHz
    4G LTE: Band20-800MHz,Band3-1800MHz,Band7-2600MHz" title="" id="carrier-frequencies" style="box-sizing: border-box;">[​IMG] Netherlands Vodafone

2G Network:
    [​IMG]
    3G Network:
    [​IMG]
    4G LTE Network:
    [​IMG]
    900MHz, 1800MHz
    2100MHz
    Band3-1800MHz, Band7-2600MHz

mikedt and dhbuckley like this.
  7. dhbuckley

Thanks for "Googling this for me"...! I think the iPhones will be the wonkier ones. I had hoped not to call Vilerizon but I think it's in my future...