• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Need to understand why few mobiles have multiple frame buffers

genaganna

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
Hi all,

W are new to Android development. We have written small code which reads /dev/graphics/fb0 and sends frames to other application through network. We are successful if /dev/graphics/fb0 is available. But some android devices have fb0 and fb1(ex - Samsung Galaxy Grand - GT- I9082, Android version 4.2.2). luckly sending fb0 frames is sufficient to get required frames. We are not able to understand why fb1 exist and what is significance of the fb1. We also found few mobiles have fb0, fb1, ... , fb13. How to find which is main framebuffer? We are really waiting for help.

If I understand your post correctly, you're either referring to multiple render targets or some evidence of multi-pass rendering.

On some OpenGL applications, special effects are achieved by rendering part of a scene onto a buffer, then using that as a texture in another rendering pass. In OpenGL ES 2 this is slightly more work than in OpenGL ES 3. The latter supports multiple render TARGETS, which differs someone in performance and feature, but is similar to the "2" method of using the output of a rendering as a texture in another rendering pass.

Reflections and shadows are typical examples.

You can only know what is which by the conventions of a particular application - there is no particular standard, as from what I infer from your post you are seeing these from a kind of reverse engineered perspective.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones