1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Need to unroot without screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jack49525, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jack49525

jack49525 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    So my screen suddenly shorted out (it'll turn on but remains black and blank, though the keys light up and the screen barely lights.) So I can't see anything on my screen, it just remains barely lit though you can tell from the sounds that the phone has booted up and is functional except for the screen. I've gotten my warranty replacement but now I need to send the old phone back in.

Unfortunately, it is rooted and I can't think of any way to unroot it without being able to see the screen.

Is there any way to unroot without seeing the screen? Will they be able to tell that it was rooted since the screen doesn't display anything? I need help asap as I need to send this back today. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
  3. jack49525

jack49525 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    I am unsure of which .sbf file to use. I don't know whether my phone's bootloader is 30.03 or 30.04 (since I can't see it.) I got it when it first came out and I believe I was on 2.3.340 before rooting if that gives any indication. Any clue which .sbf file I should be using?

4. aloha.android

aloha.android Well-Known Member
    None

When this happened to me a few months back I was running liberty on my phone. Steven always tried helping me but we just never could get around to each other. (The again for trying Steven)

So I turned my phone in as is. I didn't hear a thing from Verizon, but I was paranoid as hell lol.

Good luck on your sbf man!

5. wb2ibo

wb2ibo Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    Electronic Engineering & Development
    Saratoga and Cambria NY
    Here is what I would do. Get the linux SBF CD at http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ootable-linux-cd-soley-sbf-headache-free.html
    It will confirm that the phone is SBFed.
    Since you cant see your screen pull the battery out of the phone. Then hold down the home key and the power button and install the battery. Wait 10 to 15 seconds and release the buttons. The DX should hopfully be in factory bootstrap mode. Boot up from the linux CD and when it asks to select option 1 and 2 plug in your usb cable and select option 1.
    If the DX is truly in bootstrap mode you will see on the PC that it is applying the sbf.
    When it finishes you can be sure your phone is sbfed!:)

jack49525 likes this.
  6. jack49525

jack49525 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks! That was a great suggestion with the .iso

It was super easy and I was able to tell that my phone actually SBF'ed. I never would have been able to pull off all the driver installs etc to go through a conventional SBF without any clue as to my phone's status. (Though I did have to hold the camera and volume down together before hitting power to get into the bootloader rather than the method you proposed)

Thanks again and I highly recommend the .iso SBF method to anyone that needs to SBF!