1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need to update from 5.1.1 but am a bit confused...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andyandtherman, Oct 30, 2018.

1. andyandtherman

Hello All,

I have an unlocked ATT Note 4 which I use with my T Mobile account. I realized that Chase's app, for example, won't work unless I update to something 6. or newer for security reasons.

I went to settings:aboutdevice:search for updates, etc, but there are none on the ATT server it says... and I have T Mobile remember.

How can I go about downloading an update for this thing? Can I do it on a PC from some site and then install it from there via USB? Lastly, what should I be running???

Thanks in advance!

Andy

2. andyandtherman

Thanks. I looked up my model number and it wasn't found, unfortunately...

Samsung-SM-N910A

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

In that case, unless someone has made an updated rom at 6.01, I'm afraid there's no way to update your device

4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Android version upgrades get determined by the manufacturers and the carriers, not by the latest version available. If your carrier isn't providing you with a newer OTA upgrade that leaves you with very few options. An even more limiting factor in your case is you have an AT&T model, with AT&T being very stingy about making ROMs for their phones freely available (something you noticed in your search, it's not just a Note 4 matter). But the bottom line is older Android phones tend to be left unsupported so upgrading the firmware is either a hobbyist/tinkerer's project or a matter of just buying something newer(er).

You might want to try and install Samsung's Smart Switch utility and see if that will allow you to upgrade your SM-N910A. Not likely given the circumstances but something to try. And it provides you with a good way to at least create a backup of your phone.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/
    A last resort option is to root your Note 4 and then flash a non-stock, third-party ROM (flashing stock ROMs on your Note do not require rooting, custom ROMs do). Although that's also an issue though too depending on the availability of custom ROMs for your model.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. andyandtherman

I guess I'm at the end of the road. Perhaps I'll wait for the Note 10, or grab a slightly older model... In any case, thank you all very much for your time and insights!!!!

Dannydet likes this.
  6. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

AT&T is stingy with their software and updates.
    The easiest way to receive a Software update for a AT&T Samsung is to borrow someone's AT&T Sim card, reboot the phone, then check for the update.
    AT&T doesn't release their software so unless someone makes a leaked copy available or captured the OTA zip files that you can install through the stock recovery, not much you can do.
    Not sure if the Samsung reps at Best Buy are still flashing AT&T updates but if one of their stores are nearby, worth checking out.

svim likes this.
  7. andyandtherman

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but since I have T Mobile as a provider, can I get them or get an update from them somehow? The phone was originally an ATT, but I bought it unlocked and threw in my sim card when my original Note 4 died after 4 years

8. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

With a AT&T branded phone, when you check for updates, AT&T servers check if you have a Active AT&T Sim. No AT&T Sim, no update. Even though your phone is unlocked, AT&T still controls the update.

svim likes this.
  9. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

MrJavi, Xavier Black and Dannydet like this.
  10. andyandtherman

Great, thanks very much for your help.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  11. andyandtherman

Lastly, 1 more dumb question... If I was to buy a used T Mobile Note 4, I'd be able to update the software, correct?

Jfalls63 likes this.
  12. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

TMobile software is readily available for manual update and OTA, regardless of which carrier sim you have.
    Not sure,but I think the highest stock android version for any Note4 is 6.0.1

Dannydet likes this.
  13. andyandtherman

So then could I simply update my T Mobile run unlocked ATT phone then and spare the expense of a new phone?

14. andyandtherman

And if so, then how would I go about this?

15. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Not exactly sure what you are asking. If you bought a used 910T and it was not already on the latest 6.0.1 available, you should be able to update it to the last released version, which for the T branded would be 6.0.1 QI2

16. andyandtherman

Sorry for the ambiguous phrasing. Yes, that answers it exactly. I didn't want to purchase another phone and run into the same issue of being unable to update it. Thanks again for all of your help!

Jfalls63 likes this.
  17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Avoid any carrier customised variant phones in the future, such as AT&T apparently? Although I've never seen or had to deal with US carrier version phones of course.

18. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Deffi
    Definitely. My last experience with a carrier branded phone was a AT&T S5 Active. Locked bootloader and their control over software had me swear, never again.

Xavier Black, bcrichster and mikedt like this.
  19. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

Ok, that being said with your last two texts..and if I were to follow your advice on no more branded devices..and I want to buy a Samsung galaxy Note 4 no branded..how do I know I'm not buying a fake one either??

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews