1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Need to update Gmail in the Market

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by unplugged1, Sep 19, 2011.

1. unplugged1

unplugged1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Our Gmail on the Epic 4G Touch is an older version. Unfortunately, it does not update automatically. (At least it didn't for me.) You need to go into the Android Market and update it manually.

The newer version offers some important features. Most important to me is the feature that permits you to permanently "Allow Images" on your email, so you don't have to constantly choose to allow images.

Advertisement

graffix31, treven21 and cary328is like this.
  2. SkyeHack

SkyeHack Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
  3. unplugged1

None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Perhaps I could have been a bit more clear.

I use only Gmail on my phone. I don't use the installed Samsung email app.

If you use the Gmail app on the Epic 4G Touch, the installed app is out-of-date. It is a prior version that needs to be manually updated in the Android Market. (Just look up Gmail in the Market and update from the app that is found.)

The updated Gmail app is better than the installed Gmail app because it provides a number of important updates. One significant feature is that the old Gmail version required you to select "Show Pictures" every time you read an email. The new version allows you to "Always Show" pictures from that email address so that you don't have to constantly select "Show Pictures" every time you get the email.

4. dutchman71

dutchman71 Lurker
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Problem with the new version also is that it breaks all gmail unread counter widgets. Not upgrading mine as I like the unread e-mail widgets.

5. unplugged1

None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I would question why one would want to lose benefits of future updates from now on because a widget is not up to date. I would rather lose a counter widget than lose upgrades. Your choice, though.

Apparently there is only one well-regarded Gmail counter that I could find on the market and that one no longer works with current versions.

Here is a Gmail counter widget that works with the current Gmail update, but it is not well-rated:

https://market.android.com/details?id=se.alexanderblom.gmailunreadcount2&feature=more_from_developer

6. TheBundo

TheBundo Newbie
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    You don't lose your ability to upgrade if you skip some upgrades.

7. unplugged1

None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    My understanding of why the old Gmail counters don't work is that Google eliminated the ability of other apps (widgets) to get information directly from the on-device Gmail app. "Google has removed all access to the on-device Gmail database this app now needs to query the Gmail servers for the unread count...."

This is not the instance of Google getting an update wrong. I assume that the reason Google removed all access was for security purposes. I very much doubt if Google will change this back in future updates.