1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Need to upgrade/low on space/etc

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MacLaddy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

Hey everyone. I am hoping some people in the community can help me out with a few problems I am having with my EVO 4g.

First off, I rooted the phone quite some time ago, and I flashed a new kernal. I left the stock rom in place, I believe it is still Froyo 2.2, and I do not remember what Kernal I installed.

I am starting to have some glitches with this phone, and I think it may be time to upgrade my rom to Gingerbread. I've thought about just allowing the OTA update, but I've heard that could brick the phone because of the changes I've made.

One of the reasons I want to upgrade is that I am getting an "Insufficient Storage Space" message when I try to download new apps. My phone is showing that I still have somewhere around 50 internal megs available, yet it wont install anything new because of "Insufficient space," even when what I am installing is only 1-2 megs.

I would like to upgrade to Gingerbread, or whatever is the newest non/beta rom, but I have no clue what I am doing. Any help or point in the right direction on any of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

I've thought about backing up with Titanium and then just doing a factory reset, but then I don't believe Titanium will work anymore on a non-rooted device, so I couldn't restore.

Thanks everyone,
    Mac

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

doing a factory reset only wipes data so it will not unroot you. to unroot is a two step process. i wish unrooting would be that easy. lol

and you are correct about ota's never accept those on a root device.

couple of things;
    1. if you are having issues with your current rom try wiping dalvik cache and cache in recovery. it usually fixes most of the smaller issues. there is no need to do a factory reset as that will wipe your data.

2.if you want to try a different rom then i would try mikg 3.11. here is the link:MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]. for instructions on how to flash a rom, please use this guide:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. skip the rooting section and go to the after root part and find the flashing rom section.

not sure what recovery you have but amon ra2.3 is what i always recommend so if you have not switched to recoveries yet, i would do it now. the guide i linked also has a section that shows you how to switch recoveries as well.

hope this helps.

edit:also if you want more space on your phone, please read the partitioning section. it is recommended that you get a higher class card other then the stock class 4 card.

3. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

Thank you for the fast reply, ocnbrze.

I have a couple of questions about your comments above. It will probably show how completely inept I currently am about these phones, but hey, I gotta ask.

The rom you recommended, is that Gingerbread, or a custom rom? Also, how do I clear my cache from recovery? I do not recall how to boot into recovery, to be honest.

Thanks again. I'll read the link you provided on my home computer a bit later and get myself up to speed on some things.

I would like to partition, but I just recently purchased a 32g class 4 card for my phone, and it will be a while until I can purchase another card.

Mac

4. ocnbrze

yes mikg is both a custom rom and also it is gingerbread. it is waaaaaaaay better then stock. it is super fast but it has stock sense 2.1 and sense 3.0. just make a nandroid backup and flash the rom.

ok to get to recovery power off (make sure that fastboot is disabled, settings>apps>uncheck fastboot) then press and hold power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader. in the menu select recovery.

i would suggest that you read the guide first before flashing a rom. also make sure to read about nandroid backups as well.

and as far as your card goes, a class 4 might work for you. as long as you do not play any games or any app that requires processing speed then you should be fine. i believe that some members here said that class 4 worked for them when they partitioned their stock card. give it a go, but read up on it first.

5. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

Thanks again, ocnbrze. I'll start doing my homework, and see if clearing the cache helps.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

ok keep up posted. and as always please feel free to ask more questions if you need it.

7. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

Okay, finally starting to do my homework, and I do have a few questions.

I've given up on trying to fix my "low memory" error, and I have decided to upgrade. Here are a few of the specific questions I have before I start.

1. What advantage do I have, and what exactly can I do with a partitioned card? I am considering doing this before I upgrade, but I don't know what advantage it will give me.

2. If I upgrade to MikG will I have to perform a hard reset first? I have titanium backup, but that stuff makes me nervous.

3. What exactly is "Sense?" I rooted my phone so I could have wifi broadcasting capability, but other then that I like the way my phone looks and operates. I don't want to change the look and feel of it. At least not too much.

Thanks again,
    Mac

8. MacLaddy

MacLaddy Newbie

One more thing... There are SO many Roms to choose from, and different versions, upgrades, etc.

If I had not rooted my phone, and I upgraded, what version would it put on my phone? That's what I want. I want to make sure my 4g works, a2dp works, etc.

Versions of Roms, Kernels, Sense, AOSP, etc. It's all really very confusing from the outside.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

1) With a partitioned SD card of class 6 or above you can completely rid yourself of the problem of not enough space. Your space becomes limitless for all practical purposes. It moves ALL of your apps over to the SD card and you will have 300-400MB of empty space on the phone.

2) Yes, always do a full wipe from ROM to ROM (this is not just a factory reset), It involves wiping EVERYTHING except for SD card (wipe sd-ext and sd-android secure) in recovery at least once. If you backup user apps (not red ones) in titanium backup you will be fine

3) sense is HTC's overlay of stock android. If you are used to sense I would suggest sticking with it. MikG is a sense based ROM.

The current version is 4.67 but most ROMS are based on either that or 4.54. Either of them are perfectly fine to use. MikG will have everything working, including the hacked sprint hotspot

10. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

A few things that you should do before starting the process of updating your phone.

1. Update your programs to the latest versions then open TB and tap menu>Backup and then in the backup section choose Redo backups for newer app versions.

2. Backup your phone with TB <-- Obvious yes but people have it and then don't use it

3. Backup any SMS/MMS, Call logs, and Contacts you need. (You should sync all your contacts with google however the stock contacts allows you to make a local backup to your sd card)

4. Backup your SDCARD to your computer. Partitioning the card will remove all data from the card. After partitioning the card you can then restore your cards contents.

ASK QUESTIONS. there is no dumb question.

Rxpert83 likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews