• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need to use androids ip

tasker702x

Lurker
Mar 1, 2018
Example: I have 2 cell phones
cell A with unlimited att plan
cell B only use with wifi

I need you to find a method of how to connect cell b(wifi) with cell A(mobile data).
so that once cell B is connected to the internet it shows the ip from cell A and that in that way all internet traffic with cell B seems as if i am using cell A with mobile data from at & t.

example:
cell b (wifi) ----> cell a (mobile data) ----> internet
cell b <---- cell a <---- internet

I need cell A to work as a vpn, or a server in between to use the internet in cell B. I just want the cell A to be as an intermediary to access the internet on cell B.

To have cell B to be fed a WiFi signal from cell A, you need to enable a 'hotspot' connection on cell A. Your carrier may already include this as part of your plan, or it may be an extra fee added per month, or there are third-party apps that do this. Depending on your carrier this may not be a seamless, viable option to use as they often hamper the use of those third-party apps for the very reason you're asking about, using an unlimited plan to feed multiple devices WiFi. The hotspot works as a minimally functional WiFi network. Just note this setup does diminish the the bandwidth speed for cell B a bit as all network traffic is going back and forth wirelessly.
(cell A is not working as a VPN, it is simply acting as limited WiFi access point. A VPN involves a more elaborate, secured tunnel between two devices.)

Reactions: Astr4y4L and mikedt
Upvote 0
I'm sure what you're trying to do is tethering, except 'cell B' is more usually a laptop or something, rather than another phone. FWIW I have tethered one phone to another in this manner, sharing internet access to the other phone, and it does work.
A VPN is a completely different thing. I use a VPN so I can access sites that are usually blocked in China, or so I can be secure when using public WiFi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astr4y4L
Upvote 0
To have cell B to be fed a WiFi signal from cell A, you need to enable a 'hotspot' connection on cell A. Your carrier may already include this as part of your plan, or it may be an extra fee added per month, or there are third-party apps that do this. Depending on your carrier this may not be a seamless, viable option to use as they often hamper the use of those third-party apps for the very reason you're asking about, using an unlimited plan to feed multiple devices WiFi. The hotspot works as a minimally functional WiFi network. Just note this setup does diminish the the bandwidth speed for cell B a bit as all network traffic is going back and forth wirelessly.
(cell A is not working as a VPN, it is simply acting as limited WiFi access point. A VPN involves a more elaborate, secured tunnel between two devices.)

I have used xposed modules coupled with a VPN to run multiple devices across my home from an android hotspot. My carrier doesn't approve,but they can not see my encrypted traffic either. Often using a PC or router to repeat.
Of course. I never paid the $20 fee to add it to my plan either. I just hacked my device...

if you leave that phone plugged in to a power source, with 1 client. A router running LEDE /openwrt for instance. That's connected to a VPN . then every client that connects to the router uses the tunneled connection.
The carrier sees the 1/device with an always on encrypted connection.
I had lots of devices.

. It can be tedious to set it all up.
But it was worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones