• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Tutorial On Google Assistant

gibbbsy09

Oct 27, 2013
Hi I am really struggling understanding the correlation between contact names and Google Assistant.

I'll try and explain I have an old HTC one M8 that I'm giving to my dad, but I'm also trying to figure out how to use Google Assistant.

My dad is partially blind and is struggling to see phone numbers now, so I thought it would be a good idea to set up Google Assistant, on an old mobile I have, using my dad's SIM his phone won't do it that's why I'm using my HTC one M8.

I thought it would be straightforward but it's not, on his SIM card he has both of my numbers, as contacts one is my house the other is my mobile, the mobile contact is Stephen mobile, the house contact is Stephen house.

Here's when the nightmare starts, I say hey Google, call Stephen house, and it calls my house all well and good, then I try hey Google, call Stephen mobile, and it calls the house again, then sometimes it picks up the name Stephen wrong and spells it Steven, and says I can't find that contact please check your contact names, or just dial the name.

So there is two contact numbers for me on his Sim card, but this thing keeps on calling my house and refuses to call my mobile when I say call Stephen mobile, I even edited the name to mobile Stephen, but it totally ignores the word mobile and says calling Stephen when I say the magic words, hey Google.

What am I missing here, I thought if you want to set up a contact you put the name, then the number save it and that's it, or do you need more specifics when using Google Assistant, bearing in my mind I'm using my old HTC one M8 here this is driving me mental can someone help please.

Last edited:
Import the contacts into Google contacts, or the contacts app on the phone. Google assistant will not retrieve them off the sim card.

Hi thanks, the contacts from the SIM are already in the contacts app ,which is the people app on the HTC one m8, so Assistant already knows they are there because I can call other contacts using Assistant.

it seems to have a problem with a contact that has two phone numbers listed for that person, one for mobile, the other for land line number, and the only contact with two numbers is me do you see the problem.

Do you use Google Assistant how would you set up two different phone numbers for the same person without confusion, I couldn't be bothered with it for myself it's easier just dialing the contact, but I wanted it for my dad who is struggling to see the numbers and this seemed a good option in hind sight.

Upvote 0
well on my note 10+ i can tell google which number to call. it must depend on the which android os the phone is on. i have no issues with telling which number to call regardless of the contact and how many numbers have associated with that contact. if there are multiple numbers google will ask which one to call if i do not tell it specifically. so it is either the earlier android os or the software running the M8 that is making things harder for you and your dad.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
well on my note 10+ i can tell google which number to call. it must depend on the which android os the phone is on. i have no issues with telling which number to call regardless of the contact and how many numbers have associated with that contact. if there are multiple numbers google will ask which one to call if i do not tell it specifically. so it is either the earlier android os or the software running the M8 that is making things harder for you and your dad.

Hi thanks yep I think your right it might be the Android OS cause I'm running marshmallow, or it could be the way the HTC has the contacts set up because you only really have the option for one contact no,and it says phone primary, there's no option for mobile there's just two boxes one for phone and the other for e mail that's probably why assistant doesn't ask me which one, thanks.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
In your contacts app, you do not get a "more fields" option at the bottom? Screenshot_20200524-062658.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones