1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Need unroot to get 2.3.6. How to backup/restore apps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ni Dieu Ni Maitre, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ni Dieu Ni Maitre

Ni Dieu Ni Maitre Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Student; Arby's Wage Slave
    Pennsylvania
    In an attempt to get 2.3.6, I discovered that being rooted is preventing me from updating. I plan to un-root so that I can install 2.3.6, but I have a concern: What about backing up and restoring my apps? For example, I have QuickOffice Pro (courtesy of Amazon's daily free app) and I would hate to have to shell out $15 to re-install it. I would use Titanium to do my backups, but it requires root (correct me if I'm wrong), and I don't know that the root method I used will work on 2.3.6 as it did with 2.3.4.

So, can someone help me figure out how to do this? Most paid apps that I have are only a couple dollars (or $0.10 from Google's sale thing), but QuickOffice is one that I'd really like to have and not have to pay for, like I didn't have to the first time.

Advertisement

2. nhradiotech

nhradiotech Newbie
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    When you sign back in to Amazon all your apps will be there to download at no cost.

3. IndyDave

IndyDave Member
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    Just a quick warning, are you sure you want to upgrade to 2.3.6 right now? Read the threads about the wifi/battery issue. You probably would want to wait until the fix is in for this, or you'll be really miserable... like the rest of us.

4. geomax45

geomax45 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    You should heed IndyDave. I've been reading about all kinds of issues with KK6, especially battery life.

5. iHuman

iHuman Member
    None

Nov 22, 2011
  6. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2010
  7. Ni Dieu Ni Maitre

Ni Dieu Ni Maitre Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Student; Arby's Wage Slave
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, so I managed to get everything backed up and unroot. I have 2.3.6. I'm not sure if my battery life has decreased or not. I tend to charge my phone every night anyway, so as long as it gets me through the day it's not an issue.

Now that I have everything backed up, I was thinking about flashing a ROM. I've never done it before, however. Are there any good tutorials for flashing ROMs on the GS2? Preferably a tutorial for linux. Also, I'd like to toy around with overclocking. Are there any recommended tutorials for that as well?