• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Volunteers to be ROM Reviewers

UBRocked

VZW Nexus Please!!!
Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Hello everyone,

Time to hit the community up for donations :) (donations of time...not money)

Objective: to get volunteers that will provide ROM reviews for a new RRS (ROM Rating System) that will be in a "beta" phase on this forum. This will be a first in the Android Community (as far as we have seen)!

What we are looking for:

- 15-20 individuals who consider themselves experienced ROM flashing junkies. ;) (Only a few reviews per ROM means that all of the burden of this will not fall on just a few individuals...you only do as many reviews as you want to).
- Need to be objective and open-minded towards new ROM releases.
- Must adhere to some simple set guidelines for how to flash ROMs. (Wipe data, format partitions, test standard apps/functionality, etc.)
- Must be able to communicate via the "written word" effectively...in English please :p

Here is the link to the original thread where this program started...there is a lot of information there as to how this program will work. Nothing is finalized, comments/recommendations are welcomed! http://androidforums.com/roms-droid/119496-rom-rating-system-subforum.html

Please PM me or comment below and let me know you wish to participate in this program.

The Beta Review team will be chosen by Monday, July 26th.

Thanks in advance for your support!

This is Great! I'm glad so many of you are willing to work on making this RRS a reality! I think we will all have a hand in making ROMming a better experience for many new users (as well as those not willing to find a new ROM for them using though trial and error). We still need more volunteers so please post here or PM me if you are interested.

More information will be sent to the all of the volunteers later this week.

If you need more people I wouldn't mine joining the team. I have been flashing roms since before pete's first bugless beauty rom.

Bugless Beauty...hell yeah! Back in the "old" days where you had to fix your own WiFi if you wanted to overclock ;) I'll be honest...I liked that name better and I wish Beauty had been kept instead of Beast :D

I wouldn't be able to, I love my BB too much :')

Fair enough :D I had a fondness for BB v0.4 as well and kept going back to it after flashing all other ROMs...and then CM 6.0 RC1 came out and while I had to tweak more things with CM...I've almost achieved the same smoothness...but with the CM "charm" ;) It's my ROM of the week (something new always gets me...It would be nice not to flash a new ROM for a month (but that never seems to happen).

Upvote 0
Fair enough :D I had a fondness for BB v0.4 as well and kept going back to it after flashing all other ROMs...and then CM 6.0 RC1 came out and while I had to tweak more things with CM...I've almost achieved the same smoothness...but with the CM "charm" ;) It's my ROM of the week (something new always gets me...It would be nice not to flash a new ROM for a month (but that never seems to happen).

I completely agree! After about a day with CM, I was ready to move back to BB. I got on the forums at DroidForums.net and performed some suggested tweaks, now its the fastest rom I've ever used. I have almost zero redraw when I go back to a main screen. Very snappy!

Also, I would definitely be down to be a rom reviewer. I flash almost everything as it is, now it'll just be more productive :D

Upvote 0
I would be willing to help with this. I rooted my phone the day I got it in March and have been flashing ever since. I have rarely stayed on a single ROM for more then a couple days with the exception of NexBeast(when it was 2.1, I think), BBv0.1, Kangerade v1.0, Sapphire v0.8.4 (Current) all of which I had for about a week. I am always willing to try new ROMS and I am pretty sure I have installed every developers at least once. Also, my phone is very kernal friendly, I have never had a problem with a stock kernal in any ROM or a heavily OC'd one. I usually run the 1200mhz version of whatever the "recommened" kernal is for a ROM and set it @ 1000mhz for battery. Just in case I want to show off I have the option to bump it up. :)

Upvote 0
I would love to give back to the community! If you still need people count me in. I've been flashing back and forth since I rooted, plus I know my way around the English language.

I think if anyone where to look over my posts (especially the recent ones in the Dx: encrypted Bootloader thread) They would conclude that I'm level headed, open minded and rational.

<--Philosophy degree :p

Upvote 0
Must be able to communicate via the "written word" effectively...in English please :p

For English, press one
Para Espanol, primo numero dos.
LOL

You know I am game UBR :)

Thanks to those who are volunteering, and to those (UBR and others) who are making this happen, and quickly I might add.
I think that this RRS "could" set us apart from other boards, which is nice as well as helpful.

UBR - Sending you a PM regarding RRS criteria

Upvote 0
UBRocked,

I would be happy to help with this as well. I'm very happy with BB 0.4 atm, but I have no problem backing up to test and report.

My only question is, will there be specific kernels to test with each rom? Not having this could drastically affect people's reviews and ratings...

The way I would like to see it work is this:

- Review the ROM with the stock kernel provided
- Then load one or more kernels of choice to test performance as the reviewer would typically run it (I run at 1.1 or 1.2 all of the time so I would want to test with the stock kernel and then find a good kernel for my personal use). This is subjective but helpful IMO.

I'm definitely willing to do reviews. I believe those who have questions about each ROM should have answers to them.....what better way.

One question.....Excuse me if this is a bit dumb....Is this program limited to Droids or will it cover more phones?

Not a dumb question...

For now, this is just for the Droid. If it works out well, I could see other sub-forums adopting this. There are just SO many questions posted from new users or users who are running another ROM and don't want to spend the time to flash something that doesn't "do it" for them. Seems to me that this would be pretty universal.

Upvote 0
Not a dumb question...

For now, this is just for the Droid. If it works out well, I could see other sub-forums adopting this. There are just SO many questions posted from new users or users who are running another ROM and don't want to spend the time to flash something that doesn't "do it" for them. Seems to me that this would be pretty universal.

Ok sounds good to me. Count me in. The reason I was asking is because I'll be getting the Fascinate whenever it releases, and wouldn't mind providing reviews for that as well....

Upvote 0
Case in point - I flashed CM for about 30 minutes one night and it was not pretty, so I reverted to BB. Having read a post above, I think I might try CM again just for the hell of it and this time try to find some of the customizations that I find at DF - and see if it helps.

I was a flashaholic - now I am just in recovery, with frequent spills off the wagon:D

Reactions: inssane
Upvote 0
The way I would like to see it work is this:

- Review the ROM with the stock kernel provided
- Then load one or more kernels of choice to test performance as the reviewer would typically run it (I run at 1.1 or 1.2 all of the time so I would want to test with the stock kernel and then find a good kernel for my personal use). This is subjective but helpful IMO.

Kernel selection does tend to throw a wrench into the mix. It seems like a lot of "AHH MY PHONE IS BRICKED" threads stem from poor to uninformed kernel selection (that and not wiping :rolleyes:)

Kernels, especially the ones with higher clock speeds, seem to be real hit or miss for people--very phone specific. Reviews are going to have to assume a general level level of knowledge on the readers part as to what speeds their phone can handle.

Sounds like using the Stock kernel should be the kernel of choice for most reviewing (at least it adds more consistency across reviews), though since many of us don't say there for long, we should ratchet it up to the speeds we are used to. maybe it gets a bit "personal" at that point, but at the very least we can enumerate which kernels are at least compatible if not practical on everyone's phone.

Upvote 0
Case in point - I flashed CM for about 30 minutes one night and it was not pretty, so I reverted to BB. Having read a post above, I think I might try CM again just for the hell of it and this time try to find some of the customizations that I find at DF - and see if it helps.

I was a flashaholic - now I am just in recovery, with frequent spills off the wagon:D

That's exactly what these reviews could do. Not just a random post saying "Slow ROM, lots of FC's" (which was my first experience with CM 6.0 RC1). It was slow, there were many FC's (launcher pro FC'd all the time). Tweaked some of the CM specific settings, and it was a different ROM entirely. That's important information and sometimes difficult to sift through hundreds of comments to find that kind of information.

I think some people might view the RRS as people trying to find "the best ROM". That's not at all how I see this. It's about helping people find the ROM that is best for them.

Upvote 0
So many people don't get that part, either. What is best for one person is definitely not best for another.

With the sheer number of apps that I have installed and the ones that I run daily, stability is my number one issue, followed very very closely by speed. It's the only reason that I stuck with UD ROMs for so long - they were priceless in terms of the stability that he *somehow* worked into a very very cool looking dark themed ROM (another of my likes).

Once I came out of denial I started trying other stuff, but I have always reverted to Pete's - his stuff just works and it works well.

I am not gonna try CM tonight, simply do not have the time now, but will keep an open mind - since I am not such a big fan of his ROMs thus far (b/c I never have achieved that balance of speed and stability that I have in other ROMs) that would be a perfect place for me to start, I suppose.

Oh, and I do screen caps using DDMS via the SDK, so I can edit pics directly on the computer before uploading, and I know the size limitations and how to adjust them in Paint.NET so they'll be easily uploaded. Just sayin'....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones