1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Needed: Best and EASIEST Guide for Rooting the Optimus V

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mehndi, Nov 18, 2011.

1. mehndi

mehndi Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    I am a super noobie. I have a new Optmus V sitting in its box since September. I want to root it so that I can tether, overclock, remove bloatware and do all the other things that I am not be able to do without rooting. However, I am new to smart phones. I have searched the forum for months and still do not have the confidence to try rooting. Can someone please direct me to the latest, easiest, foolproof instructions for rooting. I am fine when I have explicit direction.

Here are some of the things that are confusing me:

Can I root without activating the phone?
    What is the difference between Gingerbread and Gingerbreak? Or is this just a typo?
    I looked at the 'Root without a Computer' instructions. Does this mean I am downloading from the android market? (I suppose this comes on my phone from the factory)

It seems some methods require you to download programs to your computer and some require downloads from the market? There seems to be a dozen ways to root yet I am not sure which is the easiest most efficient way. Please help?

Advertisement

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Would you pretty please rename the thread title? I viewed this thread (based on the title) thinking there was some new kick-ass way to root the OP V.

mehndi likes this.
  3. sushifor5

sushifor5 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    Mom, healer, writer, student midwife
    Northern Idaho
    OK, I'll try to help a bit b/c I really appreciate all the help I've rec'd here....

I honestly don't know about the first question...can you even use the phone and the web connection without activation? You need the web working to root the phone...

Gingerbreak is the rooting program that does the work of rooting your phone.

Gingerbread is an Android "version"...I think that's how you'd describe it...like if your phone is android 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 or etc. There is the "froyo" version, which my phone is, and then there was the newer "gingerbread" version, and now I believe there is an "ice cream sandwich" version. It seems the Android team likes to name their operating systems after desserts. LOL

You do download some things from the market to follow the "root w/o computer method." But you will also be downloading the files that are attached to the bottom of the OP with the instructions...that will require you to be using your phone's web capabilities. You come to this forum on your phone's browser, you would go into the instruction post and click on the attached files, one at a time, and download them to your sd card. You will also need a couple apps from the market (like terminal emulator and androzip) to complete the process.

I hope this makes sense. the instructions in the "root w/o computer" thread will provide all the info and links you need.

mehndi likes this.
  4. mehndi

mehndi Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks for being willing to help. It makes sense but it is not written this way in the instructions. Unfortunately, I am such a noob. New to smartphones, android, apps, etc... Unless the instructions are explicit, I get lost. Not to say the op didn't give great instructions. I am sure everyone else who has experience with smart phones understands what he means. I just don't have any experience and have been reading and racking my brains to understand what I need to know before I brick my phone. :eek: I wish it was written at the top: Download these files to your sd card, first. I have a linear brain. Then I would know to do this first.

Another issue is that it does not say what I should do with the three files once I download them. Do I open them or do they just work in the background?

Again, thank you so much for being willing to help me.

5. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    OK, I just wrote you a PM, so if that didn't answer it, let me know. Trust me, I know nothing about smartphones and computer programs, too...and I did manage to root successfully...if I can do it, ANYone can. I know the instructions seem tricky to those of us with no knowledge, but after doing the procedure and going back and reading the tutorial, I see that it really is all in there...you just need to read and re-read and re-read and I even wrote down notes to myself to look at as I went thru the process. if you don't know what something means, definitely ask...i still don't understand it all, but i have found some very helpful people here... :)

EDIT:

On second thought, we should probably go thru this discussion here in the thread so that if I give you bad advice/instructions, one of the gurus here can save you from me!! lOL :)

mehndi likes this.
  6. mehndi

mehndi Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Sushifor5 says:

ok, it's been a while since i read his tutorial, so i'm looking at it for you ... in this first part, he does tell you to do the downloads (i'll highlight that part):

First, you will need to install a couple of apps from the market. Terminal Emulator and Androzip file manager free. The files you will need to download are linked at the bottom of the post. They are in a zip file so you will need to use Androzip to unzip them. Inside you will find: Gingerbreak.apk (the root app), flash_image (which you will need to install the recovery), and vrecovery.img (xionia cwma recovery version 1.2518.4). Before starting, go to setting-applications make sure unknown sources is checked, this will allow you install Gingerbreak from you sd card, then click on development and turn on usb debugging.

You need those files to do that actual root...you do need to open them, as he mentions, and you'll do it with the androzip app you download from the market. you will activate the root software (gingerbreak) and it will do the work. You get it going by typing in the commands that he has in his tutorial.

Believe me, I understand how confusing this all can be...i'm a complete techno dummy and i did figure it all out. all you need really is in the tutorial, you just need to read is slowly a few times and do it step by step.

When I rooted I ran into a problem b/c I had not properly installed Busybox. you need to make sure everything that he advises is actually downloaded and installed on your phone. when it all is, it does work.

let me know if there's anything else you need...i may be away from my computer for a bit, but will check back as i can.

Oh, crap. I guess I am a newbie plus I am blind. I re-read this multiple times and I still did not understand it. Now I understand. I thought I was using Androzip to unzip Terminal Emulator not the programs at the bottom. I think I will wait until tomorrow to try this rooting process. I need to clear my brain before I start.

A dozen roses to you SUSHIFOR5.

7. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    No problem! take it slowly...this stuff can put you into overload when it's all foreign. i know i'm going really slowly with it all, to the chagrin of others on the forum, i'm sure, LOL...b/c i'm still dragging my feet on custom roms. haha i've got my own glitches still trying to work out with my phone. but you won't regret the root...i love it...links2sd is awesome...macfett is great with all that. after you complete mkbkr1's tutorial, you should look at macfett's Links tutorial. ok, post if you have any troubles. cheers!

8. mehndi

mehndi Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Another question. In the op's instructions it says make sure the Superuser app is installed (look in the app drawer to make sure the Superuser app is there).

How does the Superuser app get on my phone? Should I install it along with Terminal Emulator and Androzip file manager or does it come on all Optimus V phones?

9. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    That is a very good question, and I am sorry to say I honestly cannot remember...maybe gingerbreak puts it on your phone...maybe you download it? wow...my brain is definitely feeling 40!! hahaha... maybe someone here can answer...but i'd say you can go ahead and do the steps until that one and see if Su ends up in your app drawer. i can say definitely that the OV does not come with it...SU is a root thing.

mehndi likes this.
  10. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar
    None

May 18, 2011
    Male
    production assistant (pa), graphic artist
    Magrathea
    It should install when you root but they say just to make sure. You just look and see if its in there if not you can get it from the market.

11. mehndi

mehndi Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Ok, my guess is that it ends up there, too. Thanks

Tags: