1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Needed super backup app for tablet

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by L6j7zVXx1vQzlQ, Dec 29, 2012.

1. L6j7zVXx1vQzlQ

I am looking for a superb backup app that can backup EVERY byte on my tablet, without me having to select items - much like backing up a partition or a full hard drive on a PC. With this sort of backup app, I would be able to "go back in time" if any install goes awry, including an OS upgrade.

Is there such a great backup app?

Thank you.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

There isn't an app that can do all of that. Titanium backup can back up apps and data for those apps, as well as settings and what not, but it require root access. In order to do what you are asking, you would be looking to make a nandroid through the use of a custom recovery such as Clockworkmod, or TWRP. Which tablet do you have? If you can supply that information, I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

3. L6j7zVXx1vQzlQ

Thanks, jhawkkw.

I have an Asus TF700. I guess my PC experience set my expectations fairly high.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Is that the same as the TF700T? If so then the place to look would be Transformer Infinity TF700T - All Things Root - Android Forums.

A custom recovery is something that is usually installed during rooting, which is why the link is to the All Things Root forum. These can back up the complete contents of the tablet (system software as well as user apps and data) as a set of images, collectively known as a "nandroid" backup.

Rooting does mean making some modifications to your device's software, so do your reading first. And the manufacturer will generally consider the warranty void on a rooted device (though usually there are ways of unrooting). It is device-specific, which is why you'll get the best answers in the device forum.

Good luck :)

5. L6j7zVXx1vQzlQ

Thanks, Hadron.

Yes, it is TF700T.
    Although I am comfortable with digging deep into an OS and trying new stuff, I usually do not perform maneuvers that will void a warranty. Experience is a tough teacher.

I hope something turns up sometimes soon.

Thanks.

6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

In my experience with Asus, rooting does not void the warranty. However, in order to install the custom recovery, you will need to unlock your bootloader and that will void your warranty. The other problem with unlocking the bootloader on Asus tablets is that they will stop sending updates to it. This would require that you get into manual flashing of the rom or flashing custom roms.
    It is unlikely that an app will ever be released that will accomplish what you are wanting to do unfortunately.