1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Needing help on an app that well clear cache and help with battery

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by darnock, Aug 19, 2016.

1. darnock

darnock Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2016
    Male
    I'm new here, and new to smart phones. Just looking for a few apps to help me delete useless data and give my battery a boost.

I'm new to apps, so if you know a good rpg or scifi game feel free to list it as well :)

thank you very much!

Advertisement

2. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    What is your phone?

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    to clear cache, there is this one which is kind of neat.

* Clean Cache - Optimize - Android Apps on Google Play

as for the battery???

do NOT install any Battery Optimizer app, they are all junk, and Data Miners that want to sell you a line of goods, and sell your personal info to the chinese marketers....

your battery does NOT need to be calibrated, even though you will read many apps proclaiming that it does.

Try to recharge the battery at the 40% point, or any time you aren't actually using the phone. Just put it back on the charger...

I have Qi wireless chargers in all of my phones, and if they aren't in use, they are laying on the charging pad.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Be careful when "clearing useless data" that they are useless. Clearing caches is safe, but by their nature they will fill up again, so I regard that as a short-term fix if you are critically short of space rather than something that's worth doing regularly. But do not make the common mistake of trying to delete all "miscellaneous" data (as often presented by the android storage menu), as some of that stuff you cannot clear and some of the rest is actually important.

An obvious source of junk data is stuff left behind when you uninstall an app. If an app stores stuff in SD (real or emulated) the uninstall doesn't remove this, so you need to clear it up yourself. Usually a file browser will do for this, but there's an app called "SD Maid" that can help with such legacy files. However, SD Maid is a very powerful tool which can remove a lot of stuff you don't want removing, so use with care and don't assume that it knows what you do and do not want (i.e. look through the lists and only select for deletion stuff that you know isn't needed).

Don't worry about trying to delete pre-installed apps that you don't want. For one thing, you can't (on almost all phones they are part of the ROM). For another, it wouldn't help if you could, since they live in a different partition and so you'd gain no space by doing it. If there are pre-installed apps you are sure you don't want, uninstall updates to them, clear their data and disable them - then they are using no space and cannot run, and you can forget about them. If you can't disable them it may mean they are actually necessary (though the original ROM of my Samsung tablet had a lot of pure third-party bloat which they nevertheless didn't let you disable - this got better after an update).

And as @AZgl1500 said above, do not bother with battery optimisers (or RAM cleaners, RAM optimisers, speed boosters or whatever they call themselves). They are snake oil, actually degrade performance, and most of them are mining your phone for data they can sell to spammers. Ignore all the 5* reviews - those are a mix of user ignorance and fake reviews. Similarly there are no such things as signal boosters, WiFi boosters - these are all fake apps.

5. Revenant Ghost

Revenant Ghost Android Expert

Jun 30, 2012
    Hell
    And to answer the OP's question about a good RPG or Sci-Fi game for Android: Star Wars KotOR. It's the full game with controls optimized for Android. I think it also has Bluetooth controller support. Just find it in the Play Store.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  6. darnock

darnock Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2016
    Male
    thank you for the wonderful advice everyone. As a new user this really helps me. I really value your time as well do others. I am a huge fan of KOTOR , I bought an xbox years ago just to buy this game and it was so worth it, I might pick it up again, that and FF6

Revenant Ghost and Jfalls63 like this.