1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Needing some closure before i move on

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by badblackram06, May 4, 2012.

1. badblackram06

badblackram06 Newbie
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    Brookhaven, MS
    First off sorry for the long post..

Ok i have/had the HTC Desire CDMA version with Cspire.. Ive had this phone for almost 2 years. I ran it stock for like 7 months and decide to cross over to the dark side and root it. After i rooted it and started running Cyanogenmod. The phone was so much better and i loved it! It was like a whole new phone. Never having a seconds trouble out of it. I became a android junkie!! Anyway I took care of this phone like it was my child. The screen, body, everything is nearly flawless. Never even dropped it but kept it in an otterbox. Last night i was looking some stuff up on the ebay app when it said i had a connection error. I was on my home wifi so i figured something was up with our dsl which there was. So i switched it off and started to use 3G well i noticed my signal was horrible. Like 1 bar where i usually have 2 or 3 on a 4 bar graph.. So i rebooted the phone thinking it needed it anyway. Once it booted back up i noticed no signal at all or 1 bar but on 1X. Again i figured something was up with Cspire so i just left my phone alone. Before i went to bed i put it on the charger making sure it was charging. I woke up about 4 hours later and didnt see the charging LED on so i thought maybe the cord had fallen out but it was still in. So i've tried everything since then to get it to charge or turn back on.

Well I took it in and let a Cspire rep look at it and needless to say he couldnt help me. He said he was suprised that it even lasted as long as it did. But he tried to convince me to buy a new phone which i wanted to wait till september because they are supposed to get the first LTE 4G phones in. He agreed and said i would be happy if i waited. He ended up giving me a new battery but it didnt work either..

Now the question. What would cause this to happen to my phone? I mean i never ran the phones processor past 998mhz. TBH it stayed between 235mhz and 650ish MHz. Was it just its time to go? I've searched the web and found a few post saying it was a mother board issue..

How much could i get out of this phone like it is?

Thanks
    Brandon

Advertisement

2. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Will it boot into the bootloader, fastboot or recovery?

Are you s-off? Have you flashed a custom hboot?

3. badblackram06

badblackram06 Newbie
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    Brookhaven, MS
    No it wont boot into anything. Yes i'm s-off and no it is the stock hboot.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The charge light not coming on is a bad sign indeed, I'm afraid.

It doesn't sound like anything you've done. Hardware failure would be my guess too.

5. davoid

davoid Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    I don't know for sure, but it sounds like hardware failure if you can't boot into recovery.

I think that was a cheap comment from the rep who was 'surprised' it lasted so long. Why shouldn't it last two years? In fact I've read somewhere on these forums that the desire has a 2-year HTC warranty. I don't know if that is true but worth looking into quickly as you say you've had the phone almost two years.

Unless someone has a home-grown solution to your problem, I think you have nothing to lose by sending it back to HTC for repair if you can. If they somehow discover you're s-off, well at least they got further than you did and managed to boot into recovery or access the phone somehow. If not, they might replace it...

If it is a hardware fault they might replace it without ever discovering you were root - or not until it is too late and they have fixed it!

6. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK

I'm no expert but the reason I ask the above is I had a problem where my phone wouldn't boot but I could get into recovery and fastboot. With Hadron's help I managed to return the bit that could be seen (hboot, recovery & s-on) to stock. HTC replaced my main board under the 2 year warranty. Mine was 20 months old.

Anyway none of that applies to you. If it won't boot HTC won't know what is on there. You should get a warranty repair. The UK warranty is most definitely 2 years.

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    His phone is CDMA, so hboot flashes are off the menu.

I agree that trying for a warranty repair is the way to go.

nicka3200 likes this.
  8. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK

Was merely suggesting that HTC probably won't be able to get it to boot either. They won't know its not stock.

badblackram06 and Hadron like this.
  9. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Yes, and I'm pretty sure you are right :)

I guess that after we had someone recently who'd flashed an alpharev hboot onto a CDMA phone I'm primed to post the warning any time I see "CDMA" and "HBOOT" in the same thread! ;)

badblackram06 and nicka3200 like this.
  10. badblackram06

badblackram06 Newbie
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    Brookhaven, MS
    Mine is also 20 months old. Its worth a shot if they cant get into it either.

I will check into the warranty asap. I'm not sure if the US warranty is the same as UK warranty. It should be though. Cspire told me it was only a 1 year manufacturers warranty. I'll probably call HTC Monday and find out for sure. I'll post back when i find out.

Tags: