1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Needing some urgent expert advice, rooted samsung galaxy s2 won't start after being rooted! :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sigh, Feb 10, 2014.

1. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    Hi,

I'm an absolute idiot, my friend gave me her old phone to BORROW and said I could get it unlocked and use it until we go our separate ways after uni. I tried to root it all myself and I did it, it was all working fine and then I realised that it wouldn't let me connect to a network. I installed a patch that someone suggested I installed onthe internet and now it won't turn on. I think I can turn it on in download mode but that's about it.

Please please please if someone can guide me through this I will be eternally grateful, she's been asking me where the phone is :(
    :thinking:

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Just to be sure, before we start giving you instructions, we are talking about the i9100? There are a few variations of the S2 so it's important we know which one it is. You can check the model number by checking the label under the battery.

3. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    Yep it's the i9100

4. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Can you post the method you used to root and the patch you applied? Do you know which version of Android it was running?

If you can get it into download mode, then we can get it working, but it will mean flashing it back to stock which will remove the user data. It shouldn't affect the sd card or user storage partition, but there may be data loss.

5. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    Okay I used this

Unlock & Root Samsung Galaxy S 2 - Page 2 - The giffgaff community

but I did it with Ice cream sandwich which is apparently the right one for my phone. I think the patch I applied was an Ariza patch... and I actually think it worked at first but then it said it needed to update and I updated and rebooted but it wouldn't turn on again after that.

I think that's what happened but it may have been disfunctional as soon as I used the Ariza patch :/
    Is that enough info?

6. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    Thanks a lot for this by the way

7. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I looked through the rooting thread and it's pretty much what I expected. You flashed an insecure kernel and then installed the root software. Pretty standard stuff. You do see some issues with network connectivity with these methods sometimes.

When you originally said it wouldn't connect to networks, did you mean WiFi only or did you mean any network? I see some cases using your method where the phone loses it's imei and won't authenticate on mobile networks.

I have no idea what the Ariza patch is or does, but from what a quick search brings up is that it modifies the phone's radio drivers. But, and this may be the problem, I see almost nothing about using it on an S2. It seems to be specifically for the S3 on 4.2 or later.

Maybe someone else can clarify, but unless I've read the situation wrong, you will need to flash this phone back to stock.

8. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    It was fine with the wifi it was just saying 'emergency calls only', i'm pretty sure it still had the imei because i went somewhere on my phone to find it. The Ariza patch was a suggested solution to the 'emergency calls only' thing but it just caused all this havoc!

I've been searching and I see what you see, that the Ariza patch seems to be for the S3 rather than the S2.

What happens when I flash it back to stock?

9. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    When you flash it back to stock you will pretty much have the phone that came out of the box. It will need to be re-setup and all the apps will need to be re-installed. And email and text messages will be gone as will root access. It shouldn't affect the sd card partition or any files on a physical sd card, but as the saying goes (sort of) ... stuff happens.

sigh likes this.
  10. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    Okay, thanks for your help, I'll try and do that without ruining it further :/

11. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Let us know how it goes. :) Good luck!

sigh likes this.
  12. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    I did it! Thanks for helping :)

All seems well now except for the fact that it won't download any apps onto the phone now! Would this be because the phone is locked to a network or something? Strange because it'll connect to wifi and I can use the browser etc...

I'll probably stop fiddling around with it now anyway and wait til I can afford to pay someone else to unlock it for me

lesson learnt.

13. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If you've registered it to a gmail account, you should be able to access the play store if you could before. Sometimes after a flash, however, there can be problems connecting to the play store for a few days. I think it see's the device as the same and new, too and get's confused.

Are you getting an error or it just times out?

14. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    Hopefully that's the case! Yeah it's an error, it tries to download it for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and then says 'cannot download _______ error 403', I've been googling it but nothing helpful is coming up

15. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    This is a known error its the data and phone WiFi . are u near a good WiFi signal

16. sigh

sigh Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2014
    I'm in my house, although where I was sat does have a dodgy wifi connection with my laptop it seemed okay for my phone - after trying to download apps and failing, I went straight onto the browser and the wifi was working fine on :S

17. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    OK try this

OK this is tricky . you need to go into the airplane mode just stop the phone data from working doing this by selection of airplane mode . now back out to the main screen . select the manage apps go to all apps scroll down to Google playstore . when you selected the playstore clear the app data and app cache but clear the cache first and then data. Back to main screen pull down the status bar and you want to enable the WiFi . yes just select the WiFi go to the app draw and select the googleplay store open up select the menu to bring up playstore settings you want to select the one that say UPDATE OVER WIFI.this will be the last settings . go back out and the phone will say error . just power off phone for 10 minutes with the airplane mode still on and the WiFi is still on . when your ten minutes is up power on the phone . the WiFi will be the only thing running and the playstore should update . if not repeat the above . post back with results

18. marcus33

marcus33 Member
    None

Jan 6, 2014
    Male
    Electrician (again!)
    Harrow (England)
    Hopefully BRAINZ2013's solution will have worked for you but just in case it hasn't, and before you drive yourself crazy trying to fix an issue that is out of your control, I thought I'd make sure you were aware that apparently lots of other people are having problems with Play Store:

Here's a link to the whole thread:

General New Phone Google Play Store error 403

So you may just have to wait a bit.

Either way; good luck and I hope you get sorted.