1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Net 10 Sim FYI

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by barco13, Dec 19, 2012.

1. barco13

barco13 Newbie

I thought I would post this in case anybody was wondering the same thing I was. The 3 pack of Net 10 Simcards at Best Buy includes: 1 Att standard size sim card, 1 Att micro sim card (specifically referencing Iphone 4) & 1 T-Mobile standard sim card. This was $14.99. I have been on T-Mobile's $3 per day prepaid plan on my Nexus 4 since last Saturday so I feel like I have a good feel for their network where I live. Only trouble spot is my wife's school which is a tough spot for all carriers anyway. I am going to activate my ATT Sim with Net 10 to see if it handles her building a little better plus I want to attempt a speed test to see which is faster in my area.
    I will use the ATT micro sim with a throw away number at first. I thought I could then cut the standard sims when I am ready to port our numbers. I'm thinking I may stick with T-Mobile and have my wife use ATT.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. barco13

barco13 Newbie

A little update and some questions. I am up and running with Net 10 Sim and an ATT simcard. I have not exactly had a great experience thus far. I updated my APN settings to the values below. I noticed there are a couple of values that are already set (MCC = 310, MNC = 410, APN Protocol = IPv4, APN roaming protocol = IPv4, Bearer = unspecified). Should any of these be modified? I show the mobile network type of HSPA+15, but then it changes to HSPA10 on occassion.
    I am experiencing very slow web pages quite a few webpage is not available issues, google plus/Facebook feeds and it took me 5 minutes to log into my Dish Network Remote app--when I attempt to watch a show it says "connection failed".
    Just curious if I a setting needs to be tweeked or if this is really the experience using Net 10 with ATT in my area (Kansas side of Kansas City)? I plan to take it out of my house for awhile to see if it makes a difference. Any thoughts? When I use
    my prepaid T-Mobile Sim, the network type is HSPA+15 most of the time or then UMTS:3 when it is on 3g; however, I do not have any chrome connection issues or other issues mentioned above.

**UPDATE** I don't think I'm crazy. Here are links to other users having the same issue. http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...uys-may-be-able-to-better-assist-me-with-this
    http://www.net10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5789&t=100183
    I'm on hold with Net 10 Support right now (for past 15 minutes)
    I would certainly not recommend this service with this phone right now.

Support | NET10

**Update** So after 30 minutes on hold, I finally got a techincal support representative. I first let her know that based on their support forums and other forums as well, Nexus 4 users appear to be having data issues (she appeared to not have any idea or at least acted that way). She had me update the APN Proxy from blank to proxy.mvno.tracfone.com This did not help and it actually made it worse for web browsing. It errored out constantly instead of being able to get to a website on every 3rd try. I explained this solution did not appear to work and asked how it would be resolved or if it could be escalated to a higher tier of support. I was told there was not a solution (dead silence). I asked for a refund as I only purchased the card(s) today. She explained that there are no refunds. That's fine, I will deny the charge on my credit card and file a complaint with the BBB as I feel is within my rights here. I purchased a product that told me I could use their service with any unlocked GSM phone with unlimited talk, text & data* (I know it is throttled; however, I can't even get the data to work).
    My question is since this is the "sister company" of Straight Talk, is anybody having success on a Nexus 4 with Straight Talk using an ATT MicroSim? Please do not use Net 10 Sim (ATT MicroSim) with a Nexus 4 unless you want a horrible experience or have some setting that fixes the data issue. It sounds like using T-Mobile with Net 10 may be fine though.

**UPDATE** One more early morning update 12/20. It appears that Net10 has massive network issues yesterday. I appear to have data this morning although it still seems a bit slow. I cannot run speedtest.net app, so I attempted to go through the browser with another speed test website and I only came up with 3.28mbps down on bandwidthplace.com. I got a little under 6mbps with my T-Mobile prepaid card (assuming I would get near this speed with a cut down T-Mobile sim on either Net10 or StraightTalk). I am not sure why they just didn't announce they had system issues and they were working on it (not sure if it was a net10 or att issue), that would have went a long ways in my mind.
    Anyway, I may have just picked the worst day possible to try this service. I am still a bit skeptical at this point.

3. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast

So are you gonna try straight talk next or something?

4. barco13

barco13 Newbie

I still have my T-Mobile Prepaid SIM with enough on it to last me the rest of the week. Unless I hear people are having data success on Straight Talk with an ATT Micro-Sim, I am not ready to pull the trigger on that yet. So my current line up is a Verizon HTC Incredible where everything works, a Nexus 4 with ATT Micro-Sim card that allows voice calls and some data, sometimes and a prepaid T-Mo Micro-Sim that has been great other than at my wife's school.

5. Thats

Thats That guy is This

I am using the AT&T Sim with StraightTalk, I used some modified APN settings and now I have no issues with data whatsoever. I don't know about text or mms, because I use Google Voice. Hope that helps! :)

6. barco13

barco13 Newbie

Thanks, I noticed the APN settings are different for StraightTalk vs Net10 Sim. I had to pull my Net10 Sim card yesterday as it became unusable again. I may attempt to use StraightTalk with the ATT Sim, but my experience has not been very good with Tracfone thus far.

7. Biaviian

Biaviian Android Enthusiast

What APN settings are you using?

8. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

I'm using the APN settings for "T-Mobile (tab)" at Support | NET10

These are different settings than were initially given to me over a pay-phone while I was setting-up the net10sim Nexus 4. Those voice-delivered APN settings didn't work, but the ones above do.

9. Thats

Thats That guy is This

I will post them later. Currently I am at work and can't have access to my phone here.

10. barco13

barco13 Newbie

You have the T-Mobile SIM cut down?

11. hstroph

I have the net10 sim purchased from Best Buy for $10 on sale (reg. $15), including both sim and micro-sim, so I'm just using the micro-sim in the N4.

12. barco13

barco13 Newbie

So you are using the Net10 micro-sim, which is ATT I believe with the T-Mobile APN settings?

13. hstroph

I am using the net10 micro-sim with the T-Mobile APN settings, roger.

14. Thats

Thats That guy is This

APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http:mmsc.cingular.com
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    APN Type: default,supl
    IPv4

15. barco13

barco13 Newbie

I'm using the T-Mobile settings on the support page with an att micro Sim. I have data now, just slow. But I can actually run speed test app. With att settings on support page and settings they gave me over phone, my data connection was useless.

16. hstroph

Yeah, that's what I was verbally given over the payphone when setting-up the device, except your MMSC typo will certainly fail without the http://... unless they're programmed for such errors, and I was also given "MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33". It wasn't working in the urban area where I was at, so I went home and re-configured to the apn.net10sim.com web site T-Mobile APN settings and have been using those ever since.

forsirtin likes this.
  17. barco13

barco13 Newbie

I am attempting to use the "T-Mobile" APN workaround with the ATT micro-sim card with Net10. I am in a HSPA+15 area and am getting .35mbps down & .42mbps up with the below settings. I do appear to hold a data connection with these settings vs the ATT settings per the support page and what I was given over the phone. Any thoughts on tweeking the settings some more? Maybe the ATT sim just doesn't play nice with the speedtest app as well. Also, it seems like some of you should bill Net10 for your time since you are doing support for them :)

Name: net10
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: 8080
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.tracfone.com
    MMS Proxy: Not set
    MMS port: Not set
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN type: Not set
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    Bearer: Unspecified

18. Thats

Thats That guy is This

That was not a typo. That's exactly how I have it on my phone. That's how the guide told me to do it. I explicitly asked about it and was told this way. Don't know why.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews