• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Netbook & Captivates

I think his question is more about Windows 7 Starter edition, which is a rather crippled version of Windows 7.

Windows 7 Starter lacks some features standard in any version of Windows XP, such as support for multiple monitors, DVD playback -- even the ability to change the desktop image from the Microsoft logo.

So...safe to assume that you might not be able to transfer things back and forth between your Captivate and your netbook. That being said, you can upgrade to Win7 Home Premium right from the netbook. Hit Start and in the search box type "anytime upgrade" and then, in the list of results, click Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Upvote 0
Because starter edition is that crippled. It was on my little sisters netbook and it was mind boggling just how much she *couldn't* do with that computer. It's pretty useless as operating systems go.

Here...more info. He may be able to use it for basic things like dragging and dropping files from one to another, but for anything like streaming audio/video? Not gonna happen...

Windows 7 Starter does not include:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the Windows Basic or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
* 64 bit version
* Multi-monitor support.
* DVD playback.
* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.

* Domain support for business customers.
* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

Upvote 0
I own a Toshiba Netbook, NB 305 w/ an Atom 450 processor and 2 gb of memory with Windows 7 starter edition.. With the Captivate USB connection set to "mass storage" I am able to transfer files between the two devices. I struggled until I discovered that you have to mount the drive from the Captivate's pull down "notify" screen. Also note that when you do this, the device is considered unmounted from the Captivate's internal menus.

Upvote 0
How much did the extra memory cost? Looks like a real good netbook to take with you to college, but the ones that are for sale are only 1GB of RAM.

Look at HP's new 210 HD, 10.1". You can get: Atom N475, 2GB memory, 250GB 7,200 RPM hard drive, Broadcom Crystal HD video accelerator (plays movies, flash, etc.), 720p display, Windows 7 (not starter), wireless N, about 10 hours battery life (6 cell).

Upvote 0
So many damn netbooks around the same price with the same specs. It's going to be pretty hard picking one out out of the bunch. It's not just buying the cheapest one or buying the ones with the highest specs, as I would love to see a netbook with dual core processor more than anything (or is the one core enough =0). Then again, yeah, thanks a lot, that one looks really nice in terms of all the specs. I'm guessing you got the one with the HD extra thing?

EDIT: Oh wait, the one you're proposing costs as much as a regular laptop =0, and I think it would be cheaper to get a regular 1GB one (350 bucks) then upgrading it, since memory costs around 50 bucks where I last saw it. Oh well, a lot to think about in the next coming months.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Mi...Gold/9835628.p?id=1218181018613&skuId=9835628

Upvote 0
Might want to take a peek on the mydellmini.com forum ... there's usually several minis being sold at any given time, and they're good little machines. I've got a Mini 10v and sold off a Mini9. Those two types in particular can even run a Mac OS if that's your thing.

As an aside, I'm glad to hear that starter can at least work with mass storage. That's a pleasant surprise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones