1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Netflix or another option for Streaming?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Harplayr, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Harplayr

Harplayr Well-Known Member

I currently have Netflix and love the way the widget works and the quality of the image when streaming videos. What I don't like is their selection which is lacking in current movies.

Is there another company like blockbuster or Amazon that streams with as good or better quality that has a better selection of current movies at a similar or better price?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast

Word on the street is that Redbox is trying out an application that is currently in beta.

I know of no other way to stream the new releases than netflix's paltry selection.

3. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

I have both Hulu+ and Netflix, I use Hulu more simply because I watch more TV shows. I also find NetFlix' selection quite lacking. I'm almost at the point of dropping Netflix and trying out Red Box.

-Sent using the force

4. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

I feel you. :p
    Netflix does make me rush to watch anything unless I'm feeling nostalgic.

5. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

Are you guys talking about Redbox instant by Verizon? (https://www.redboxinstant.com/) Has anybody tried it yet and how is the selection, streaming quality?

6. Harplayr

Sounds interesting.
    I signed up for the Beta and am waiting for my code to try it out.

7. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

Same here. I hope it's not carrier limited to Verizon only. :)

-Sent using the force

8. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

Since we are on a topic of streaming and TV, I was very pleased to find out today that our cable company (Optimum, service of Cablevision) just added Note 2 to its list of supported devices for its streaming app. Pretty much as long as you are at home on wi-fi, using their app you can stream any cable box channel to your phone and manage DVR to schedule/delete recordings. For a long time they have been supporting only Apple products with an excuse of fine tuning their app to a specific "popular" hardware. Now, they added Kindle Fire, most of the Motorola droid phones, and Samsung Galaxy line. Hoping they will add Nexus 7 soon as well.

A true joy now when my kids are watching TV or playing video games in the living room, I can watch my own channels on 5.5" screen instead of borrowing their 3.5" old iPods. Or better yet, maybe one of these days I will be able to watch TV in one window while browsing in the another one using multi-window view :)

9. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

I got the email that says thanks for signing up.
    Thought the code would be in that email.
    How long is the wait?

10. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

No idea, still waiting. LOL

-Sent using the force

11. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

So the beta will be free to use for a month and than they bill you $8?

12. vgp

vgp Well-Known Member

I just got thanks too...hope to test it soon.

Thats what it says...with the free rentals it sounds like a good deal.

13. Harplayr

I'm waiting for my code too.

I read that streaming only will be $6
    Streaming with free rentals $8
    Streaming with free Blu-Ray rentals $9

It all boils down to selection for me. If they have newer releases quicker then it's a good deal. The fact that for $8 or $9 bucks I can stream and get a few rentals seems like a good deal though.

I wonder what Netflix will do to compete. Their only advantage is more legacy device support for streaming.

14. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

Im sure red box will be available in all formats real soon. Netflix must innovate or at least update their selection if they are to survive.

-Sent using the force

15. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast

I don't know about Redbox yet, but Netflix is the best out there for me right now. I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. Amazon Prime still haven't come out with a android player and the selection is really not as good as Netflix. I had Hulu Plus for 4 months and cancelled it. I don't really watch too many old shows, and the new ones are free on regular Hulu. Most of the time I don't even watch it on regular Hulu because I can get the new shows directly from the station's sites like CBS, NBC, ABC, etc... And when I do it directly from the station, my firefox Ad block plus block all the commercials. It doesn't block Hulu commercials.

And don't forget that Netflix just signed contract with Disney. So in a few years, they will be the only one that has first run Disney and Pixar movies.

16. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

I love Netflix for there selection for war documentaries, as well as some tv series like the British TV series "Sherlock" which I find very interesting. =)

[Edit:] also finished another old British series called Ultimate Force on netfix. :)

-Sent using the force

17. LegalEagle1

LegalEagle1 Newbie

I also have Netflix and enjoy it but I have HBOgo as well. The quality on HBOgo is better than Netflix IMO

18. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

Looks like netflix is down atm.

-Sent using the force

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews