1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Netflix & Throttling

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Geidroid, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Geidroid

Geidroid Member

The thunderbolt not getting Netflix has almost been a dealbreaker for me until I read that viewing a few movies can eventually slow down your connection due to throttling. How true is this? and if it is true why would people care if Netflix was available or not when it would be in essence useless to someone who uses their phone for other purposes?

I also feel lack of an Amoled screen sucks as well

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

uhhh... the TB will more than likely be getting Netflix, since Netflix is coming to Snapdragon processors only at first, and the TB uses the same processor as the LG phone they used to demo it...

3. Geidroid

Geidroid Member

I wouldnt count on it. No one has confirmed Netflix on the TB even though the same processor will be used in the LG Revolution which was displaying Netflix at MWC. Even if Netflix will be on the TB, still does not answer my question.

4. Guntherm

Guntherm Member

I disagree. Everyone is making these wild assumptions that 2g or a couple of movies will get them throttled. NO Where has Verizon stated this. All they said is the Top 5% "MAY" get throttled.

If I had to guess thye are goign after those that are doing torrenting and downloading, or tryign to replace there internet connection at home, those people doign the 20-50 gigs. (IMO)

5. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Android Expert

^^^^^this ^^^^^

6. Geidroid

Geidroid Member

That sounds reasonable...
    if so the TB better have Netflix...we know it wont support it out of the box though...

7. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Must admit I was a skeptic about the Netflix app for small portable devices, since figured it would be like a weak-ended Flash site. It plays great on the iPod through wifi and even plays good using wifi tether with my Incredible. The better the connection of course, the better scaled quality. Super sharp with a good connection and as good as on the Xbox 360 version for clarity.

Watching Reno 911 with Netflix using my Inc as a tether, right now :)

Looking forward to it on my Inc (assuming we get it.....).

8. bkorver

bkorver Newbie

No we don't. Not unless you have the "Official To Be Released" phone in your hands right now... you are assuming based on what people who can't even pin down a release date told you.

9. Geidroid

Geidroid Member

You are correct about one thing and that is me assuming, but the assumption was based on my own deduction of what I have seen and read so far

10. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Android Expert

If it is not released for the TB, it will be compatible so you will be able to side load it. Netflix over wifi is still better than nothing if they throttle.

11. Geidroid

Geidroid Member

I just got back from pre-ordering at bestbuy and the guy said they will throttle after 5gb and phone will be sold on the 25th/26th

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews