• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Netflix work around? Is there a chance in hell this could work?

Dsanders77

Mar 5, 2011
Georgetown, TX
Found this on Giz this morning. Wondering if I can get an opinion on this from one of the higher ups before I try it.

Explanation: Netflix officially realeased for 5 devices because those are the ones that the devs tested with. They knew there would be issues with untested devices (fcs, crashes, no video/sound, etc) so they coded the app to refuse to play on anything but the tested 5. All this hack does is circumvents that restriction by making the app think you are on one of the supported ones. There some devices which seem to work fine with the app but were never tested by the devs. Such devices as the nook color, the LG optimus S/V. These work perfectly after this while others still may have problems.
0) Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted by build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)
1) Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor)
2) In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes
3) Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)
4) Open & edit /system/build.prop
5) Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2:
ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
OR
ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
6) Reboot the phone
7) Install the netflix apk (if you haven't already)
8) Enjoy
I tested this on my LG Optimus V running AOSPCMod v20110427 (Android 2.3.3). Before this, it told me that my device is not supported, now I'm watching 30 Rock episodes over 3G. I did not come up with this, I stole it from some posts on xda and compiled a nice step by step guide. I take no responsibility for screwing up your phone.
Good luck and Enjoy :D
EDIT: updated for less line changes
EDIT2: I guess this is kinda hit or miss, but it does seem like it is working on multiple people's Optimus V's and Nook Colors.
EDIT3: Added the Nexus S settings that worked better for some

Found this on Giz this morning. Wondering if I can get an opinion on this from one of the higher ups before I try it.

Explanation: Netflix officially realeased for 5 devices because those are the ones that the devs tested with. They knew there would be issues with untested devices (fcs, crashes, no video/sound, etc) so they coded the app to refuse to play on anything but the tested 5. All this hack does is circumvents that restriction by making the app think you are on one of the supported ones. There some devices which seem to work fine with the app but were never tested by the devs. Such devices as the nook color, the LG optimus S/V. These work perfectly after this while others still may have problems.
0) Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted by build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)
1) Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor)
2) In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes
3) Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)
4) Open & edit /system/build.prop
5) Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2:
OR
ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
6) Reboot the phone
7) Install the netflix apk (if you haven't already)
8) Enjoy
I tested this on my LG Optimus V running AOSPCMod v20110427 (Android 2.3.3). Before this, it told me that my device is not supported, now I'm watching 30 Rock episodes over 3G. I did not come up with this, I stole it from some posts on xda and compiled a nice step by step guide. I take no responsibility for screwing up your phone.
Good luck and Enjoy :D
EDIT: updated for less line changes
EDIT2: I guess this is kinda hit or miss, but it does seem like it is working on multiple people's Optimus V's and Nook Colors.
EDIT3: Added the Nexus S settings that worked better for some

Blast brought this to our attention at PPA. It was tested and confirmed to work for *some* ascends (thanks to daddyof3 for testing). The last comment was from this morning where someone said they released an update disabling this work around. I cannot confirm or deny, just tossing it out there.

Upvote 0
But since its already been brought up...

It may sound obvious..but I'm guessing once complete the Market will also see your Ascend as a different phone?

Testing now. Market can see the phone on CM7 and will allow dl. That much I can confirm.

Update: Nogo. I see that there is a short changelog stating "minor update", guess that would be the off switch for that. Going to restore backup, just to make sure there are no issues.

Reactions: one80bysummer1
Upvote 0
Peoplegetpeople at PPA confirmed it still works, his Market still works and shows his downloads as well. He says 0-100 its about 75%..works great on WIFI but sometimes the audio gets clippy. This is pretty cool.

Might be a product of the whole "Not all Ascends are alike" issues. I treid the Nexus S convert, might try the HTC convert and see if that functions. PG, you tried this yet??

Upvote 0
Might be a product of the whole "Not all Ascends are alike" issues. I treid the Nexus S convert, might try the HTC convert and see if that functions. PG, you tried this yet??

I dont know if its a trend or not, but it almost seems like the "lazier" ascends are *usually* the cricket ones...if that tells you anything. Hope you get it working

Upvote 0
Well. It installed fine. Did give me the same error msg as Isaac. (not supported blah blah blah) let me sign in but I cannot view anything. keeps popping up about phone not being supported. Oh well. Was worth a shot. guess I have one of the lazy ascends...lol

If anything knowing it works on the Ascend gives us some fuel to pressure Netflix for a full release on all platforms. Going to keep tinkering on this end, see what happens.

Reactions: Deej029
Upvote 0
What did you do? THIS idiot would love it get it working too :D
1. Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted by build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)

2. Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor)

3. In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes

4. Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)

5. Open & edit /system/build.prop

6. Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2:

1. ro.product.model=HTC Vision
2. ro.product.brand=tmobile
3. ro.product.name=vision
4. ro.product.device=vision
5. ro.product.board=vision
6. ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

7. Reboot the phone

8. Install the netflix apk (if you haven’t already)

9. Enjoy

Upvote 0
1. Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted by build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)

2. Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor)

3. In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes

4. Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)

5. Open & edit /system/build.prop

6. Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2:

1. ro.product.model=HTC Vision
2. ro.product.brand=tmobile
3. ro.product.name=vision
4. ro.product.device=vision
5. ro.product.board=vision
6. ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

7. Reboot the phone

8. Install the netflix apk (if you haven’t already)

9. Enjoy
Ok. first...THANKS
second...I can now get everything to load, but when I try to watch, i get sound with no pic. Hmmm. help again (as usual)

Mine looks like this now:

ro.product.brand=huawei ---
ro.product.name=huawei_ascend ---
ro.product.device=ascend --- or do I need to cange these too?
ro.product.board=M860 ---
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v6j
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

Upvote 0
Ok. first...THANKS
second...I can now get everything to load, but when I try to watch, i get sound with no pic. Hmmm. help again (as usual)

Mine looks like this now:

ro.product.brand=huawei ---
ro.product.name=huawei_ascend ---
ro.product.device=ascend --- or do I need to cange these too?
ro.product.board=M860 ---
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v6j
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

Model and manufacturer did it for me. Try using the Nexus S / samsung settings. Seems to be working for more people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones