1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Netflix?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rwestiv, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Rwestiv

Rwestiv Member
    None

May 22, 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    I'm by no means am expert, so I post the question here, can we expect Netflix on the Infuse anytime soon?

After reading the articles about TI, I'm confused. Is it software or hardware?

If these are stupid questions, sorry, but I haven't seen any threads on the topic so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

GBA

Advertisement

2. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    It's up to Netflix. The company has released its app only for some Android phones.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    I'm sure the specs on the infuse can handle the Netflix app. The first phone that I know of to have it for AT&T is the LG thrill 4G which is suppose to be released sometime this month.

4. RajCaj

RajCaj Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Its most certianly not about the hardware. I was running Netflix fine on my iPhone 3G, which sports a blazing 450Mhz processor & 128MB of RAM.

I was also disapointed to find that Netflix wasn't available on the Android marketplace after purchasing my brand new 4.5 Infuse. I did a little reading up on it and it appears that there is an issue with "lack of programming & hardware" standards across the Android platform that could potentially create some digital rights issues.

I know digital rights is sort of a funny expression in the open source community, but Netflix can't negotiate licensing rights & fees for streaming content unless they can gaurentee that there is no loop holes for piracy.

Seeming as the iOS is locked down tight and the Android allows for more freedom among its users (especially power users), we have a Netflix & Hulu app for the iOS, but not the Android.

Unless there are major changes with Gingerbread that help prevent piracy, I wouldn't look for the app to be available unless Samsung takes steps to lock its phone down (which is persumably what the other Android manufactures done to come in compliance and get Netflix apps)