• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Network Location Issue

dcam1075

Nov 27, 2009
So, with the stock Touchwiz software you can not access the normal Android Settings menu for Location and by default the "Network Location" function is dissabled. I installed Open Home (which is a must for this phone imho) and now I can access the classic settings menu. I enabled Network Location then launched Google Maps. After a second or two it centered on a road in Bellevue, WA that is not too far from T-Mo headquarters, problem is I am on the East Coast of the US. I pulled the battery and reboot the phone. Upon reboot I opened Google Maps again and it quickly found my approx location correctly but then within a second or two it switched back to this phantom location in Washington state. Has anyone else experiences this? If so is this a glitch with my phone or a known issue witht he TouchWiz/Android OS? I really need this functionality in order for the phone to be useful for me. Anyone know of a fix for this?
Thanks a ton!

Ah Ha! I think I have it figured out. I went to "Manage Applications" and found a program called "Network Location". I selected delete data and then went back to google maps. It found my true location and has not yet defaulted back to that phantom Washington location. I have not traveled anywhere yet though to see if it will update when I move. Give this a try and let me know if it works for you too

Upvote 0
To enable network location in behold 2.
Install Sherpa. There is a sub-menu in Sherpa that let you choose " Network Location " or " GPS Location ".
*:)*To access the Sherpa's sub-menu. First, you must disable the GPS on your phone, then when Sherpa launches and asks to determine your location, it will ask you to enable GPS. Select ENABLE GPS. There you will have your sub-menu. Be sure to choose the " Network Location " and leave the GPS blank. It's that easy. ( Google map will show a blue dot with light blue radius indicating approximate location ).

In situations where if you need to turn on the phone's GPS, the Network Location will get turn off automatically.
To reactivate Network Location, just repeat *:)*.

Upvote 0
We are not having trouble turning on Network Location, that can be done through Open Home. The problem we are having is the Network Location will work for a bit then default back to a phantom location near Bellvue, WA. It will stay locked onto this location until you purge the data from the Network Location utility in the Application Manager. Have you been using Network Location with Google Maps on and Behold II without having this problem?? That would be useful information.

Upvote 0
If you have time, disable GPS on your phone, open Google Maps and select "My Location" a couple of times from a couple of different places if possible. Ideally if you can drive around with Netowork Location only on and Google Maps running that would be best! If you get a phantom location let us know where it is showing. We are trying to figure out if this affects all phones or just a batch of them. Thanks!

Upvote 0
my behold 2 has never shown the bellvue location, or any other "phantom" location. the location is always close to where i am, within the light blue circle. i have network location turned on (through the system settings menu accessed with aHome). i do also have gps on. it works great! first gets a quick fix using tower triangulation, and then the accurate fix (gps) a few sec. to 1 min later depending on where i am. google maps is now very fast on start up (network fix) as well as very accurate (gps fix).

Upvote 0
Maybe something is wrong with your network settings. Maybe call TMobile and ask if its possible to push out those settings. If I remember they used a proxy back in the day with tzones, so network wise the phone would think its elsewhere. Try running speedtest as that will show you where you are. My phone before this one was a sony ericsson K850. Lovely camera, but anyways I figured out how to tether it and was messing around when I tried speedtest. I dont remember where it thought I was, but I know it wasnt my town(where my pc would show up as).

Upvote 0
If you have time, disable GPS on your phone, open Google Maps and select "My Location" a couple of times from a couple of different places if possible. Ideally if you can drive around with Netowork Location only on and Google Maps running that would be best! If you get a phantom location let us know where it is showing. We are trying to figure out if this affects all phones or just a batch of them. Thanks!

Greetings! My apologies for jumping in without any introduction; I was doing a search for this problem I'm having and found this thread. It looks like this thread died a few weeks ago... I am wondering if this issue has been resolved at all? I am having a very similar problem:

I'm using a G1, and the Network Location shows me in San Jose, CA, apparently on Pierce Ave. I am actually in Berkeley, CA. My husband, who also has a G1 and got his at the same time, has the exact same situation. I tried clearing the data as suggested above, and got pretty much the same result: briefly the correct location but then it went right back to San Jose. I've also tried all sorts of variants of turning the GPS on/off, the Network Location on/off, turning the phone off and taking the battery out, etc. The only thing I haven't done is a factory reset, which is a big PITA and probably wouldn't solve it anyway.

Now, here's the thing: we've had these phones since last May, and we NEVER had this problem up until a couple of weeks ago. This problem apparently coincided with a new cell tower going up nearby. All of a sudden, we got a great signal (it used to be a bit spotty) but our phones now think we're in San Jose. So I'm guessing that the problem might be not with the phones, but with the network. I've thought about contacting T-Mobile about this, but am cynical about the prospect of their employees suggesting anything useful other than a factory reset :rolleyes:

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks all!

- Kat

Upvote 0
This would help us a lil bit ,...,., what version of android is your G1 running ?? ( 1.5 ,, 1.6 ) ????_____,go to settings>about phone>firmwhere version let us know please......

Oh, 1.6, just the standard Donut, no tricks. The problem started occurring long after the Donut update though (like I said, it really seemed to coincide with the new cell tower going up nearby!)

Upvote 0
So samsung was right , it is a T-Mobile's issue .For some reason the towers are returning cached locations instead of true locations .

That doesn't quite make sense either... unless I'm completely mis-understanding how this works (which is possible), this isn't a cached location. I've never actually been there since I've had this phone, so why would the location be in my cache? I'm guessing that for some reason, it's picking up a cell site down there instead of the one nearby... but how to get t-mobile to correct this...?

Upvote 0
NO .. not in that sense. nothing to do with your G1 just T-Mobile's towers

when you use the debug tool in the sdk > and you run google maps , ddms shows >> CID= unknow >> returning data from cached location .... and in maps you would see random location ...
BUT
then it says CID=d0a*** >> returning location with accuracy=true and i would see my location
FYI ..CID ..Cell ID= tower

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones