1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Network operator search hangs

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Blattafrax, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Blattafrax

Blattafrax Guest
    None
    I have a Moto X 2g running Android 6.0.

I often need to switch between automatic choice of network operator and restricting to my default, so the phone often needs to run the network operator search. This has always been slow (30s - 1 minute) but with Marshmallow (don't know if this is connected, but the timing is about right) just hangs for 10+ minutes until I have to give up and do something else.

I live on a country border and my "home" network operator has a relatively weak signal compared to the "foreign" one, but a 4g that I can use when I leave my front door. So, I don't want to use automatic network selection most of the time, because I would get stuck without 4g on the foreign network while waiting for the bus. However, when I actually do go over the border and out of range of my home network, I need to make calls and have to switch to using the foreign networks.

It's a pain in the neck, but manual switching worked up until recently. Now I can't even do that.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement

2. psionandy

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    Make sure mobile data is turned off, before you do a network search?

mikedt likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    If you live near and going over the boarder many times, presumably it's roaming, and likely incuring considerable expense as well. Sounds like a dual-SIM phone might a possibility for you, and get a SIM from the foreign network, instead of roaming. Where are you, are you in Asia or something?