• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Network vision & LTE rollout

leave if you must, but I think its a way more improvement, because those areas that were promised Wimax and never got them are getting them. Plus it covers more areas than wimax did.

see below.

(I tried fixing the view of the LTE map)

Sprint4G-Wimax-LTE.png

TS

Upvote 0
I'm still holding onto hope for an upgraded Nexus for us. :(

Even still, it is not really worth it. For us power users, the hardware is outdated. The S4 in US EVO X devices is just coming onto the market and into it's own. It's going to be glorious.

If that's the case, then it looks like I'll be jumping ship to Verizon once my contract is up.

Adios!

Upvote 0
Verizon currently has LTE in my area, but according to that map, Sprint will not. My contract isn't up for a year, so things may change by then, but if Sprint doesn't have LTE in my area when it's up, I'll be switching.

Sprint will have a roaming agreement with the current provider in that region. At least it is something they plan to explore.

Upvote 0
Verizon currently has LTE in my area, but according to that map, Sprint will not. My contract isn't up for a year, so things may change by then, but if Sprint doesn't have LTE in my area when it's up, I'll be switching.

If you have 3G on Sprint, the chances are Extremely likely that you will get 4G LTE with Sprint, as the the Network Vision/4G LTE upgrade will be done to nearly every cell site/tower on Sprints network--nationwide. So in most cases, its not a matter of if you'll get Sprint 4G LTE, its just when. Here is a list of the Markets said to get 4G LTE this year (or at least have 4G LTE deployment underway in 2012): http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/ There are a few other markets rumored to be added to these lists as well, such has Phoenix, Tucson, Milwaukee, and Cleveland.

Upvote 0
If you have 3G on Sprint, the chances are Extremely likely that you will get 4G LTE with Sprint, as the the Network Vision/4G LTE upgrade will be done to nearly every cell site/tower on Sprints network--nationwide. So in most cases, its not a matter of if you'll get Sprint 4G LTE, its just when. Here is a list of the Markets said to get 4G LTE this year (or at least have 4G LTE deployment underway in 2012): Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates There are a few other markets rumored to be added to these lists as well, such has Phoenix, Tucson, Milwaukee, and Cleveland.

They will be going to every sprint tower for this. they will actually cut the towers in half to, from around 68,000 towers down to 38,000, and still have same coverage.

They are also upgrading 3g also, so 3g will work even better for those who want to keep using 3G.

Upvote 0
i am going to say this and hopefully it won't come across as being too rough, arrogant or mean, but, for those that feel that the Now network is not working for them and want to leave, that is your choice. Go ahead and go. But before you go, do yourself the favor and read up on everything and anything on Sprint 4G network vision and that includes, Sprint forums, s4gru, SprintFeed (or Technobuffalo) etc. If it still does not meet your needs, then see ya.

Myself, I've seen what is coming and I like it.

TS

Upvote 0
its not that bad.

sprints voice and 3g coverage is close to like this

BO543STC.gif

roaming agreements fill in the rest. so LTE will cover Sprints entire network.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit confused with the roaming bits on the first map. I'm in the Western part of Virginia, which is in the roaming area on the map. Maybe we will get LTE then!

Upvote 0
True, like I said, I could be a bit more harsh, but the way I see it, everyone has their needs and if the carrier does not fulfill their needs, then they are free to move on. I understand that after so many times they may not want to give it another go. That is fine. I fall in that same category, but looking at what is being done leads me to give them another chance. If it doesn't pan out, then jumping jack flash I will be. But as always, the grass is greener on the other side, The only thing about that is that it takes time , patience and money to keep that side green.

TS

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
not too harsh, but at the same time i understand where people are coming from. its easy to promise and under deliver and in %100 honesty it wouldn't be the first (or 2nd) time sprint has promised a top notch network coverage roll out and fallen short.

my personal experience has been good with sprint in the north texas area. since moving up to Norman, OK (south of OKC) my coverage was good too but lately it seems like i'm getting a lot of dropped calls, i don't know if thats due to my EVO (rooted running Evervolv ICS) but even when i flash back to stock i still get a few dropped calls. it just doesn't seem right and i'm not sure what the deal is. although i will still be sticking with sprint because hell, the EVO One will be unrivaled for a while and i'll yet again be the coolest kid on the block ;)

Alot of the problems are from Sprints last CEO, he messed alot of stuff up. Dan(current CEO), is trying to get things right. And i think they are headed in the right direction with NV. Just got to be patient a bit longer.

And remember Wimax was done by a 3rd party who failed to live up to expectations. NV is being done by Sprint and not by a 3rd party

Upvote 0
i am going to say this and hopefully it won't come across as being too rough, arrogant or mean, but, for those that feel that the Now network is not working for them and want to leave, that is your choice. Go ahead and go. But before you go, do yourself the favor and read up on everything and anything on Sprint 4G network vision and that includes, Sprint forums, s4gru, SprintFeed (or Technobuffalo) etc. If it still does not meet your needs, then see ya.

Myself, I've seen what is coming and I like it.

TS

I've been following it pretty closely too, and you're right.. its looking pretty good.

Alot of the problems are from Sprints last CEO, he messed alot of stuff up. Dan(current CEO), is trying to get things right. And i think they are headed in the right direction with NV. Just got to be patient a bit longer.

And remember Wimax was done by a 3rd party who failed to live up to expectations. NV is being done by Sprint and not by a 3rd party

I agree with both of you guys. I think it's going to be like a whole new network.. oh wait.. it is going to be a hole new network!! Network Vision includes going to nearly every (if not all) of Sprint's cell cites/towers and installing all new equipment, from the back-haul, to the panels, to the RRU's, to the cabinets.. It's pretty much a complete overhaul Sprint has going on.. quite the undertaking! And, It should be pretty impressive.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
IMO, you will know when Sprint has turned the corner when thier stock prices start going up and they are able to compete with VZ and T.

IFF you have faith in S, now might be a good time to invest in THEM.

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S)

-NYSE

down_r.gif
0.12(4.17%) 3:50PM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price
Day's Range:2.76 - 2.8652wk Range:2.10 - 6.45

Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ)

-NYSE

down_r.gif
0.02(0.05%) 3:52PM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price

AT&T, Inc. (T)

-NYSE

up_g.gif
0.22(0.70%) 3:52PM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones