1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Network was changed error

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SaintsSB44, Mar 30, 2020.

1. SaintsSB44

SaintsSB44 Lurker

Over the past week or so I keep getting a Network was changed error message even when im in my own house. This only started within the past 10 days or so. When I check at home my wifi network is showing the same. Any ideas on what caused it or how to fix?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Well the most fundamental task to try is just restart both your Note and your router, the things that are a part of the error message. If that message is still occurring after that, at least you know it's not just a temporary glitchy matter and something that needs to be looked into.

Try going into your Settings >> WiFi menu and delete the WiFi entry for your home WiFi network, then try re-adding it back in.

Just to clarify, this is happening only with your home WiFi network or is this a problem with different WiFi networks too?
    If it is happening with other WiFi networks, you might want to try using the 'Network settings reset' option. It will be buried somewhere in the Settings menu (locate varies according to device and which version of Android). But keep in mind this clears all network related settings and returns them to their defaults so it will wipe all your saved WiFi network entries along with any save Bluetooth pairings, and any alterations to any cellular settings (if you did manually alter anything).

3. SaintsSB44

SaintsSB44 Lurker

This error occurs no matter where I am. I tried resetting the network settings already and same issue.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Is the WiFi coverage patchy? Swapping between mobile and WiFi will do this.

5. SaintsSB44

SaintsSB44 Lurker

Not that I can tell but even if it was should not do it at home.

6. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Just some other things to try:

-- Try wiping the system cache partition. The system cache resides in its own dedicated partition and is different than your app caches. And it doesn't retain any vital data or have anything to do with your saved data so it's safe to delete. It's not accessible in the Settings menu, you need to restart your Note into its Recovery Mode to access the 'wipe cache partition' option.
    https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-note-9/recovery-mode/
    (...if your Note doesn't even have a system cache partition, don't be surprised. After Nougat, the system cache was being phased out so on newer phones it's more a matter of some phones do still have them but most do not.)

-- Try restarting your Note into its Safe Mode and see if that makes any difference. When your device is running in Safe Mode only the base Android OS gets loaded into memory when booting up. No third-party apps or services, just the base Android install.
    https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-note-9/safe-mode/
    If you don't see that error message in Safe Mode, that's a possible indicator that some app you've installed is causing the problem. And it's not necessarily an app that was installed around the same time this problem started to occur, it could be an app that received an update at that time. So this will help reveal a possible source to the problem but you still need to determine just which app.

-- A more drastic step to take is a Factory Reset. This will delete all your files and documents, along with the apps that you installed and their data. Be sure to back up all your stuff first. Install Samsung's Smart Switch utility on your computer and use it to make a complete backup of your Note 9. This will make it a lot less of a hassle to do a Restore of your previous account data and settings.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

-- This is a last resort option but flashing a stock ROM will replace the installed Android OS with a clean one:
    https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note9/firmware/#SM-N960U1
    Be sure to select an appropriate ROM, one that matches your model exactly (i.e. SM-N690U1) and your carrier. ROMs are not interchangeable. The download page of the firmware you select has basic instructions on the flashing process.

The above are all software based solutions so if none of them work out you might want to take your phone in to a local service shop and have them look into it. Offhand something like that error message doesn't seem to be hardware related but a trained tech person should be a lot diagnosing and fixing the problem.

mikedt likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Are you using a VPN or proxy or TOR? Because those can certainly cause "network was changed" , if it's swapping around connecting to different servers. The fix, is just to reload the page in the browser.

#7 mikedt, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    svim likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 release date was August 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 12MP camera, 6/8GB RAM, Exynos 9810 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

August 2018
Release Date
Reviews