• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Networking issues , Why is the LAN transfer so slow ?

Hi,
Just have a small linux server setup in Home which is connected to the Router by a Wire ( 100Mbps connection speed as they say it :p )

And my MBP connected via wireless ( .11 g , which they say limits to 56Mbps)

When i try to transfer files ( tried Samba , FTP as well) the connection never crossed 1.4MBps (11.2 mbps ) now using the upload accelerator i am able to get a speed of 2.0 MBps ( 16mbps ) to the MAX

Its damn simple, if my Wifi can provide 56mbps Why does not the speed go up ? :eek:

as in server, I have 7200RPM HDD ( nothing RAID stuff ) running !!

Size of the data files, block sizes, source disk fragmentation, transfer type used, wifi degradation, cable fatigue, hdd controller fault, wifi or wired nic driver fault, poor switching, other packets, channel congestion, file system differences, permission retention issues or perhaps you simply didn't say please

Reactions: ninadchaudhari
Upvote 0
Size of the data files, block sizes, source disk fragmentation, transfer type used, wifi degradation, cable fatigue, hdd controller fault, wifi or wired nic driver fault, poor switching, other packets, channel congestion, file system differences, permission retention issues or perhaps you simply didn't say please

Close Enough :dong:

Many things to consider huh :)
Thanks !

The 54Mbps data rate is the best gross data rate. There's overhead and you're not guaranteed that top rate all the time. Read this:

802.11g Speed - How Fast Is 802.11g Wi-Fi Networking?

Thanks ;)
May be this is the main factor !!
I need to upgrade my router now :D

Upvote 0
You're quite welcome!

If you need to move data quickly, there's still no substitute for Ethernet. A GigE switch and some Cat 6 cable will run rings around Wi-Fi all day long.

Embrace the wire. The wire is your friend. :)

So very true I have a crossover cable hooking up my Server to my PC using a Cat 6e cable over Gigabyte with 9k jumbo frames enabled.

My pc is running 2x's SSD drives in a Raid 0 the Server has 5 7.2k rpm hard drives in a Raid 0 between the two I can get 100-320+ mb transfers. In fact I have it setup so it looks like my server storage drive is installed in my PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones