• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help new 2 android. Texting problems?

yoo992

Lurker
Aug 14, 2011
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the entire android operating system. I currently own the Blackberry Bold 9700, iPhone 3GS, and now, the G2X. (I used to also have the HTC HD7. Call me spoiled :p)

Well anyways, here's my problem.

On all my other phones, when I get a text message or any type of notification, a pop up occurs telling me what's new. However, I am thoroughly annoyed because my G2X isn't doing this!

Is there any type of setting I can set up so a notification pop ups when I get a text, facebook notification, etc.?
All I see is a tiny little bar near the top of the screen telling me of my new stuff...

EDIT
Also, I know there is a way to download 'free apps' that are normally charged. Tips on getting started to so called 'jailbreak' this device so I can do so?

Hi there,

I have a G2x as well. Unfortunately android doesn't have built in messaging popups like your looking for, you need to download an apparently from the market. There are some that are just popups like, "SMS POPUP" or full on replacement apps like, "Handcent", "GO SMS" and "CHOMP SMS"
The nice thing about all those is that the popups allow you to reply right there and then without having to take you to the actual messaging app.
That's the best you can do. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I have a G2x as well. Unfortunately android doesn't have built in messaging popups like your looking for, you need to download an apparently from the market. There are some that are just popups like, "SMS POPUP" or full on replacement apps like, "Handcent", "GO SMS" and "CHOMP SMS"
The nice thing about all those is that the popups allow you to reply right there and then without having to take you to the actual messaging app.
That's the best you can do. Hope that helps.

Ah. Well that sucks..

Is there any way to get free apps?
Like jailbreaking on the iPhone?

Upvote 0
Also, which one out of those listed do you think is the best?

It all depends on what your preference is. If you like the stock sms style and just want the popup window to come out every time you receive a text message, then SMS popup is the one you want to go with.

If you're looking for not only the popup window, but also a way to personalize your inbox and conversations for sms then you'd have to choose between handcent, go sms pro, or any other sms application that allows you to do that.

I used to have Go SMS pro myself and I prefered that one compared to Handcent but to each their own so give them a try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones