• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories New 2150 Battery, Charging With Phone Off?

Drow-NIN

Lurker
May 7, 2010
I recieved my 2150 mah battery from Verizon/HTC yesterday and from reading MANY posts on battery performance I decided to charge it an entire evening (before using it at all) with the phone off. As I stated before, I have read A LOT of posts regarding battery issues, bump charging, etc... However, this one has me a bit stumped. I charged the battery the entire evening with the phone off, woke up this morning to a green light, took it downstairs and before turning it on plugged it in again. It has now remained orange for well over an hour before turning green. I understand why the battery fails to get fully charged when the phone is on but why would this occur when the phone is off? Do the software failsafes apply when the phone is off as well? In turn, I see now that I have not had a battery that has recieved a full initial charge. Which from reading the forums may be the (obvious) key to better battery performance.

Update: I finally reached green after more than an hour, unplugged it, plugged it back in and it is orange again. I still haven't turned on the phone.

If this specific issue has been posted I did not find it. I assume it is different because the phone was left off the entire time and bump charging still applied (I suppose).

By the way, I love my Incredible and have had no issues with it whatsoever (other than battery issues).

I noticed this on the original battery. I just did a phone-off first charge yesterday with my extended battery, however I didn't bother to unplug and plug back. IDK why the battery behaves this way, but I don't have the patience to see how many times I can orange-light a charged battery.

Upvote 0
Yeah I noticed the original battery will charge an extra ~30 min after unplugging turning off the device and plugging back in. With the 2150mah battery it will charge about an hour and ~20 min longer. Doing this with the extended battery makes it go A LOT longer, but without doing it the battery gets me through a day with very heavy use with no problems so I find the extra step is unnecessary. This phone is practically perfect now - well, maybe after froyo and an OTA to fix the voice call quality it will be perfect, well, um and a fix for the grounding issue, then it'll be perfect.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it mattered but for the first couple charges I used an external charger. After that I just charged while the battery was in the device. I noticed after just a few days the battery would last longer and longer. If I do the unplug and charge again with phone off trick my battery will read about 60-50% at the end of the day, and I mean from about 7am to midnight. If I don't go through that extra step I get about 40-30% at the end of the day. That is after very heavy use with no regard to trying to spare my battery or using any battery management techniques. It's great. I can just use my phone to do whatever I want and not think twice about battery life or turning off this or that or juicing up at work or in the car.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones